Technical Topics specific to the 2 dr. coupe body - NOT where you post pics/build specs of your car.
By OmarG
#44648 I ordered an Airmass Thundermuff catback on Friday. From what I've heard (not much) they're decent exhausts. I bought it on a really tight budget, (most of my gear is on a tight budget) and for what it's worth, it does have a nice deep tone, not like those excessively high pitched ebay tips.

(I can't really afford something like an apexi exhaust system atm, and I have shit for tools. ie. when my heat shield was torn and rubbing on my cat I had to get cinder blocks and some ply wood to make a make shift ramp for my car so I could gain access to the heat shield. yea. I'm THAT strapped for cash.)
By asianrob
OmarG wrote:I ordered an Airmass Thundermuff catback on Friday. From what I've heard (not much) they're decent exhausts. I bought it on a really tight budget, (most of my gear is on a tight budget) and for what it's worth, it does have a nice deep tone, not like those excessively high pitched ebay tips.

(I can't really afford something like an apexi exhaust system atm, and I have shit for tools. ie. when my heat shield was torn and rubbing on my cat I had to get cinder blocks and some ply wood to make a make shift ramp for my car so I could gain access to the heat shield. yea. I'm THAT strapped for cash.)

use jacks and jacks stands if you can borrow them

in my Opinion those THunder muffs not all that good you could pick up a used exhaust system for about that price

or you could

get like an OBX twin loop (got one on my bros car) sounds really good and get custom piping for about 50-75 depending where you go and save some cash
By OmarG
DC4rob wrote:
use jacks and jacks stands if you can borrow them

in my Opinion those THunder muffs not all that good you could pick up a used exhaust system for about that price

or you could

get like an OBX twin loop (got one on my bros car) sounds really good and get custom piping for about 50-75 depending where you go and save some cash

Is the twin loop the one that has the piping that loops back around into the resonator near the tip like the Mugen exhausts? if so those are sweet. My friend has some gear he's willing to let me use, but besides that, I've been doing most of the work with my lone pair of pliers. XD

this is where i got the first review from:

http://www.hondacivicforum.com/m_107317/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm
By Gorveatt
#44676 haha good ol Sniper, haven't seen him on there in a while

but i think this part i think is the part to look at

And lastly, the sound. Got ear muffs? For the first few weeks it was fine. Nice deep, sporty tone. But after it gets broken in it gets progressively louder. When I switched to a header and high flow cat, it got ridiculous and I had to switch tips,
By OmarG
#44677 eeeesh. yea.

that will probably get old fast. I can easily swap the axle back when funds are more readily available, no?
By teal_dx
#44678 The cheap exhausts will usually have the packing burn out after some time, making them get very loud. But as mentioned, you can always keep the mid pipe and upgrade the axle back down the road :thumb:
By asianrob
OmarG wrote:eeeesh. yea.

that will probably get old fast. I can easily swap the axle back when funds are more readily available, no?

you can switch out axle back

and yea the OBX twin loop looks very similar to the Mugen one with minor details missing but its really quiet and sounds really good do 2.25 is big enough for all motor
By Gorveatt
DC4rob wrote:
OmarG wrote:eeeesh. yea.

you can switch out axle back

and yea the OBX twin loop looks very similar to the Mugen one with minor details missing but its really quiet and sounds really good do 2.25 is big enough for all motor

you happen to have a good quality sound clip of it? im tosing the idea in my head about getting one, it looks nice as well.
By stefan
#44703 I've got one on my coupe.
In these films; don't mind me pulling it into rev limiter, I just had it swapped in back then, no experience with it yet ;)

http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=PL4h7RfQHNE
(shortram, no airbox)

http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=QbocyhuRr3Y&feature=user
(shortram + airbox)

After a while, the OBX twinloop ALSO gets noisy, no doubt about it'll still sound better than a normal freeflow ;)

Also, I spray painted the muffler black, but didn't do the returning pipe, the end piece nor the inlet pipe... looks much better IMO;

You should know that these mufflers are pretty huge and heavy, so they sit pretty low.
But I manage, even with over 3.25" lowering :)
By OmarG
#44773 wow. that exhaust looks grand.

very sharp indeed.

:thumb:
By BAXTER_EJ1
#44776 Sorry to jack, but while we're on the topic of exhausts...

I just had the new sponser recommend the Apexi WS II exhaust for my set-up, and I've listened to some sound clips and really like it so far.

Does anyone have any personal experience with them? I have an exhause leak before my muffler so I'd really like to just swap it with an aftermarket and forget about it.
By stefan
#44890 Can't go wrong with a WS2 :thumb:
By Gorveatt
stefan wrote:Can't go wrong with a WS2 :thumb:

+1 i'm debating on getting it for the teg, i had it on my hatch and it was great, only issue was that it would hit the rear trailing arm mount on the frame
By BAXTER_EJ1
#44897 Thanks guys, reassurance always makes me feel happy :hehe:
By OmarG
#45740 So.

the "thundermuff" (laugh, go ahead. you know you want to) has finally arrived. All I can really say is... WOW. it is REALLY big. My friend has a blitz nur spec on his 240sx, and it's 4.5". that's pretty damn loud. So at a ridiculous 5' I can only imagine what unwanted attention this bad boy will attract.

I'm going to attempt to install it myself tommorow, and from what I've read, they're pretty simple to put on. what would you fellas say is the hardest part? the putting on the exhaust or removing the old one? these hangers look pretty small, wouldn't that be a pain to maneuver under the car with less than two feet of clearance? (we're trying something odd to get under the car XD)

I'll post some pics tomorrow to show you guys.