Technical Topics specific to the 2 dr. coupe body - NOT where you post pics/build specs of your car.
By _Dylme_
#341974 hi everyone!

I'm know that this is not a 96 coupe forum but i've been looking into a lot of topics here and really like this forum so i decided to get some help here.

I want to buy a 96 coupe but needed some instructions of what to look after to make sure that the car is in good shape and has been well looked after.

the car that i have already seen has 140,000 km (i'm from portugal thats way) i think it already have some lowering springs and a aftermarket filter the black one...

here you can see some pictures http://www.standvirtual.com/carros/anun ... /P7676989/

what do i really need to worry about?

hope that u can help me with that and hopa that in some days i can show you what i bought.

thanks
Carlos Sarmento
By teal_dx
#341975 A civic that has already been modified has most likely been driven hard here and there. Proof of all proper maintenance completed would be a must.
Then the usual list:

- Check the oil for coolant and coolant for oil - they can mix if the headgasket is leaking. Any gunk under the radiator cap is a sign, too.

- listen to motor for any light knocks and look for any white or blue smoke at the tail pipe.

- turn wheels all the way both directions while driving to listen for cv noise, visually look for torn boots.

- look closely at body panels for sings of repaint which could be due to an accident. (do they offer carfax in portugal?)

- listen for grinds at high rpm shifts, if manual.

It does not have too many km, so hopefully it should be good :thumb:
By _Dylme_
#342005 thanks a lot teal maybe tomorrow i ll go check all of that and take some photos and show you so you can tell me what you think.

by the way some friends told me that the hondas tends to consume oil that you have do be leveling it often. is it really like that?
By d-mon
_Dylme_ wrote:thanks a lot teal maybe tomorrow i ll go check all of that and take some photos and show you so you can tell me what you think.

by the way some friends told me that the hondas tends to consume oil that you have do be leveling it often. is it really like that?

vtec motors use a little oil, check the level at least once a month.
spun bearings are very common in honda motors.

my ls never used oil, ever. :)
By egsedanguy
d-mon wrote:
_Dylme_ wrote:thanks a lot teal maybe tomorrow i ll go check all of that and take some photos and show you so you can tell me what you think.

vtec motors use a little oil, check the level at least once a month.
spun bearings are very common in honda motors.

my ls never used oil, ever. :)

yea this is very true. and my ls also never used oil. :thumb:
By _Dylme_
#342051 Hi everone

Bad news not buying the coupé because when i was testing the car i listened some clanking noise on the front right transmition...

I hope to find an other good deal so i can show you all

Thanks anyway everyone!
By egsedanguy
_Dylme_ wrote:Hi everone

Bad news not buying the coupé because when i was testing the car i listened some clanking noise on the front right transmition...

I hope to find an other good deal so i can show you all

Thanks anyway everyone!

that was probly the axle. was it doing it while turning? could have been a simple fix.
By _Dylme_
#342087 Yes it was but unfortunatly my money was all going to buy the car so i didn't have any money left to put a new axle i needed a good mecanical car, if it was some body problem i would have bought it