Technical Topics specific to the 2 dr. coupe body - NOT where you post pics/build specs of your car.
By kkarson
#336746 This may or may not have been discussed before, but what do you guys think is the best set up for best MPG?

I have GSR blades and an HP Racing exhaust on my car now, and it seems to get slightly worse gas mileage than before, when I had stock 13" steelies and a stock exhaust. The change is not that significant, but I want good MPG too.
By MistahJuice
#336755 What do you mean good mpg? If it's a full exhaust than you'll need a tune to take full advantage of it. If your running the correct profile of tires then it should matter what rims your using Unless they weigh a shit ton more. Well at least to an extent. You could get a d15b 3 stage vtec, engine. But in terms of cheap fixes just change your spark plugs, air filter, fuel filter, regular oil changes, etc etc. A cat back shouldnt change much, maybe just reduce low end a tad and I suppose that could lose you some mpg around the city, but I wouldnt expect it to be at all noticeable
By JohnRM
#336801 I've heard a good turbo setup can get you very good gas mileage. Is this something you're talking about? :?
By TrailerTrash
#336802 people can debate the best setup all day long but if you ask me in the end it all comes down to how you drive.
By teal_dx
TrailerTrash wrote:people can debate the best setup all day long but if you ask me in the end it all comes down to how you drive.

This 100%.
Also proper scheduled maintenance will help, including: ignition, alignment, air filter.
And you have more rolling resistance with a wider 15" tire than a skinny 13" one. A bigger exhaust on a stock motor will sometimes make more power at peak rpm but slightly less power at lower rpm. Plus, if you're like me, you're probably a little harder on the gas pedal when you have a nice exhaust to listen to. :thumb:
By blk92hb
teal_dx wrote:
TrailerTrash wrote:people can debate the best setup all day long but if you ask me in the end it all comes down to how you drive.

This 100%.
Also proper scheduled maintenance will help, including: ignition, alignment, air filter.
And you have more rolling resistance with a wider 15" tire than a skinny 13" one. A bigger exhaust on a stock motor will sometimes make more power at peak rpm but slightly less power at lower rpm. Plus, if you're like me, you're probably a little harder on the gas pedal when you have a nice exhaust to listen to. :thumb:

this is true. I got a intake and exhaust on my b16a and I can get 40mpgs with just diving easy, but if im hard on it ill get 27mpg
By kkarson
#337406 Well when I first got the car, it was all stock (13" steelies, stock exhaust), and I was able to get 400 mi to the tank at one point, NOW though, the lowest I've gotten is 255 to a tank, and currently, it's about at that stage. I don't know what it is. I can't go back to the steelies even if I wanted to because I don't have them anymore. And yes, I've been quite hard on the gas because I have a good exhaust to listen to :hehe:
HOWEVER, this last week or so, I've been trying to go easy on the gas in the city and on the highway, but I still can't get good MPGs. I'm averaging only like 28-30 mpg combined. It sucks!! (at least compared to before).

Now I'm contemplating getting a check at the shop, just to see what things may need to be fixed, such as air filters and such, in order to get my MPGs back.

..gas is expensive :(
By brandoff88
#337418 keep your foot out of it, and just do a basic tune up and I bet it will get better :thumb: and I really don't know whats up with people but I run the jdm d15b vtec motor and before I blew the first one up I was getting roughly 50 mpg combined, about 530 miles to a tank at 10.5 gallons a tank. and I didn't drive it crazy but I didn't drive like a grandma either...I think the lowest I got was about 380 to a tank but I did go into vtec in 1-3 gear ALOT..so again its all about your driving style :wink:
By xzachrickx
#337420 my buddy had a 92 vx hatch and got 54 mpg. he put in readout for current mpg and you can see when the cas is running in lean burn saveing you about %40 fuel useage. vx models are amzing when drive in lean burn., if it isnt then the car will get about 30-32 highway