Technical Topics specific to the 2 dr. coupe body - NOT where you post pics/build specs of your car.
By teal_dx
#326519 Running w/o a thermostat, manually wiring up the fan are both lazy fixes which do not fix the original problem, but instead cover the true problem up while it gets worse. Eventually the problem will get so bad that no thermostat and constant fan running will not keep the car cool.

I'd do a compression test to be sure, but everything points to a leaking headgasket. Look for cookie dough under the radiator cap and coolant in the oil.
By kaikohe
#326559 I saw your DIY on replacing the headgasket so i'm definitely going to do that too...(teal) but how do i do a compression test? I think there is the cookie dough in the coolant and oil too.... you should have seen it it would make you sick..... maybe even barf....when i bled out all the air of the coolant system this white stuff kept floating to the top of the radiator as i was filling it. is that what you are talking about? either way i bet it needs to be replaced
By teal_dx
#326576 Yeah, that's definitely a bad headgasket then, no need to bother with a compression test. (there's a tutorial on doing a compression test in the DIY list. ) :thumb:
By kaikohe
#326580 so, my new question is...... How long can I drive on it like this? it will only be to and from work. I need to wait for tax refund so I can buy the studs and everything needed to do the gasket.
By teal_dx
#326583 Sooner the better... every time it overheats badly, the head could be warping.
Also, if you're getting coolant in your oil, they will burt internals as it will be lubricating bearings with some water instead of 100% oil.

If the oil looks like milkshake, I'd change right now.
By kaikohe
#326586 the oil looks fine..... alittle dark but nothing like a milkshake. but who knows when the oil was changed last. here's another question the spark plug wires wont set down on the spark plugs like my CRX used to. I remember almost like a click when I would put them back after tighten the plugs to see if the head gasket was leaking or anything like that. but these dont and i was wondering if it was something these dont do or what.
By kaikohe
#326640 the battery is fine and everything comes on just fine when I turn the key to acc but when i try to turn it on nothing happens but everything that turns on at acc turns off and the car doesnt start
By reaperstk
#327963 try tapping the starter with a stick and try to start again
By reaperstk
#327964 Also can u hear a click when u turn it to acc, if not change out the main relay.
By kaikohe
#327978 so I had inadvertently cut the igition wire so after figuring out that it worked fine