Technical Topics specific to the 2 dr. coupe body - NOT where you post pics/build specs of your car.
By kaikohe
#324531 I bought a coupe on Saturday and the same day it died at a stop light. I opened up the hood. Smoke was coming from the engine and the 1st spark plug wire was almost completely out. i have a couple of questions. 1st......whats wrong with it? and second.......can it be fixed or should i just swap the engine out and get it working again.
By teal_dx
#324560 A couple of things come to mind...

1. Is the spark plug tightened all the way in the cylinder head? Pressure from combustion could be getting past the plug, pushing the wire up.

2. Are the plugs on the motor the proper ones? I know D16y8 uses a different plug seal shape on the valve cover than D15b7 and D16z6.

3. This one might be a stretch, but if your crankcase/valve cover ventilation is all plugged up (or modified to be incorrect) you could be getting excessive blow-by pressure building in the motor. The oil seals on the inside of the valve cover which isolate the spark plug tubes could then be leaking, forcing the plug to pop up. This is less likely unless your motor is turbo or very built up.

I'd check #1 first :thumb:
By Punksz6
#324867 I just wanted to add how are the plugs themselves? Do you have any oil on them? Oil could be leaking from the valve cover down to the plugs?
By kaikohe
#324931 I replaced the plugs, plug wires and battery that evening and now its driving like a champ. idling rough but better that than not running at all. but i will work on that this weekend when I'm not driving it to work.