Technical Topics specific to the 2 dr. coupe body - NOT where you post pics/build specs of your car.
By Chambers
#317355 Hi all,

I have been dealing with a knock in the front of my car since I have had it. I have now replaced nearly everything and the noise still persists... I have replaced the following:

strut assembly (spring, strut, and strut bearing)
upper control arm assembly (with upper ball joint)
lower control arm assembly
inner and outer tie rods

The knock is random and sounds like a bad set of struts. It does not happen if I'm in a turn though. It sounds like its coming from the foot wells, like the steering rack is loose. I have checked all the mounting bolts and they are good and tight. The chassis is a DX so there is no sway bar. I have grabbed and shook everything I could under the front of this darn thing and can't figure it out...

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
By teal_dx
#317356 Have you checked the wheel bearings? Usually they will make a whirring sound when bad, but I witnessed one so bad that the wheel would make a knock sound over bumps in the road and it was quiet the rest of the time. I jacked the car up and the amount of play was so bad, it was as if the lugs were not all the way tight (but they were)
By Wolfsbain
#317358 Also check your axles and make sure everything is still tight
By 92civic_vx
gtstripes wrote:check maybe engine mount?? i heared they make knocking noises

they can make a knocking noise, my trans mount is bad and knocks every time i first take off or shift hard.
By TrailerTrash
gtstripes wrote:check maybe engine mount?? i heared they make knocking noises

check bushings also :)

i agree with this. also with the wheel bearings
By Chambers
#317402 Thanks for the replies.

The axles are new, I replaced all the engine mounts when I put the new engine in.

The wheels are solid, no play. There is no grinding sounds, just this knock. I had a rear wheel bearing go out on me last month and I replaced both. So, I may just replace the front wheel bearings next...
By Ajax1989
#317404 jack up the front and grab the tire on the top and bottom and move it.. if any play your wheel bearing is bad
By Chambers
#317406 Yup, did that yesterday when I did the lower control arms.
By TrailerTrash
#317408 i had a very similair problem when i first got my car... couldnt figure it out. just a random knocking sound now and then. it didnt happen enough for me to be able to figure out what it was. thought it was the axle. then wheel bearing and so on.

then the rear motor mount bolt fell out at 60mph and played pinball under the car :thumbdown:

you could check it lol
By Chambers
#317411 Ya, last weekend I put a new test pipe and header on and checked my engine mounts, they were all good, no missing bolts.
By Chambers
#317879 I found it. It was the steering rack... The "in and out" (turning left/right) movement of the rack was ok, thats why when I grabbed the tire and shook it, I didn't find it before. But the internals of the rack moved "front to rear" causing a knock. I found a company via Rockauto that sells them new. The passenger side bushing was 1/2" off center, but a little massaging and it fit.