Technical Topics specific to the 2 dr. coupe body - NOT where you post pics/build specs of your car.
By rafaortiz21
#312318 My car have been doing a clicking noise when releasing the clutch, but only in first gear. I looked around and everything seems fine except for that damn noise when taking off. Any ideas?
By rafaortiz21
#312342 It's a single click when releasing the clutch pedal
By teal_dx
#312379 It clicks right when you start to move forward but not if you release the clutch in neutral, right? If so, I've heard this before. It could be play in your CV joints where there is a little slop and the click is the metal pieces inside contacting. If it usually happens when starting out in 1st going forward AFTER you just went in reverse, then I bet this is it. Once you go backwards, the CV joint will be turned in one direction. Then when you go forward, it will rotate in the other direction but because there is a little bit of play, it will make a "click" noise when the parts inside move across the area of play and contact the next metal piece.

It's hard to describe but if you think about your car on a jack and you're putting the front wheel on but the lugs aren't on yet, when you grab the tire and spin it fwd and backward, you'll get play between the wheel studs and the holes on the rim. But it only happens the first time you rotate it fwd after rotating it in reverse. Same concept with the CV. :thumb:
By rafaortiz21
#312404 You hit the nail in the head! It happens just as you discribed. So I should replace my axels or how do I fix this issue?
By teal_dx
#312419 It will continue to get louder as they continue to wear out. But unless you're racing / dumping the clutch etc. it's not going to break & leave you stranded. My EK did this for years. But keep it in the back of your mind and replace that axle when you get the cash/time :thumb: It's probably just one side. I'd check the boots to see if they're torn too. If so, I'd replace soon. :thumb: