Technical Topics specific to the 2 dr. coupe body - NOT where you post pics/build specs of your car.
By harrow17
#267643 been looking to get a import car since i want to start learning about engines and tuning cars. i know about cars but only the basics. so i want to get something in good condition but needs to be worked on and build up. i have been looking at a 95 si but will look at other models. but i also am looking at a 97 gsx eclipse since i want awd but front wheel might be fine.

why should i get a civic besides the better gas millage lol?
By TrailerTrash
#267648 If you like 30+mpg daily, reliability, cheap parts(new and used), easy to work on, fun to work on, a car that ins't a cranky bitch, and a car with excellent aftermarket support for all budgets ranges... don't buy a DSM.
By kingjmack
#267649 get the hatch! honda's rule so let the haters drool!
By harrow17
#267659 i like the hatches but not sure if i would get one
By TrailerTrash
harrow17 wrote:i like the hatches but not sure if i would get one

so get a coupe... or a sedan... or a delsol :thumb:
By teal_dx
TrailerTrash wrote:If you like 30+mpg daily, reliability, cheap parts(new and used), easy to work on, fun to work on, a car that ins't a cranky bitch, and a car with excellent aftermarket support for all budgets ranges... don't buy a DSM.

THIS :thumb: A 92-95 civic is all of these :woot:
By asianrob
#267669 parts for this model is way easier to find then lets say a DSM even tho there were several companies that made that same car. its just these civics are popular, timeless design, and the interior on these cars are just flat out nicer then any expensive DSM.

thats my opinion.

if you want real power. build a motor

swap a K series or a J series,

build a B series or just swap a GSR into it. light car + big motor = fun to drive same basics you would learn in an american car.

these cars are not hard to work on by any means.

you can do soo much upgrading with just OEM parts too.
By necropaulis
#267945 Well if it were me, and I didn't need a DD, I'd get the Eclipse if the price was right. AWD Turbo goodness :woot:. However for a good learning car, the honda can't be beat. Just about no other car is built for easy upkeep. Depending on where you are junkyard parts are cheap and plentiful. The GSX on the other hand, needs Eclipse, Lancer Evo, and Chrysler/Plymouth Laser parts that are becoming harder to find. Tuning a Honda is easier(cheaper) than most also because of the huge following.
By Flatland_EG
#267959 DSM's for the most part are decent cars as long as you leave them stock, the moment you start tweaking the motor for more performance there reliability drops exponentially, they have notoriously weak drive lines as well.

Our local forum used to have quite a few DSM tuners and all but a couple moved on to other cars before even finishing there builds because they were such a PITA.

An AWD factory turbo'd DSM is a great bang for you buck car, don't get me wrong, just keep it stock. For the best money though, go with the Honda, the aftermarket support is unrivaled among any other car brand, parts are cheap, you can't beat the reliability, gas mileage is definitely a plus and resale value is well above average. :thumb:
By d16z6boy93
#268195 my buddy has a gsx and is constanly putting money into it. plus i think girls look better driving them :hehe:
By cody27
#274487 :thumb: for an EJ1 (coupe) and as stated unbelievable reliable and cheap to fix ive had mine for about a year and a half and aside from basic maintenance the only thing i HAD to replace was the bearing in the A/C tension pulley which set me back a whopping $3 and 15mins, and the oil seals around the spark plug wells which was all of $15 and 30mins of my time.

for someone getting into cars i would highly recommend any model of honda as they are extremely easy and there is an endless amount of knowledge and aftermarket support out there for them
By OmarG
#274667 Honda.

I bought my coupe for 400 bucks, and my JDM Type R motor swap for $2000 and I annihilate DSM's, Scoobies, S/C Cobalts, and can hang decently with Mazda speed 3's. All in a car that's 17 years old and cost me less than 3k to build.