Technical Topics specific to the 2 dr. coupe body - NOT where you post pics/build specs of your car.
By crazy_head
#252822 I had been thinking about getting a Civic for awhile now so i could park my truck and save some gas money. Well I stumbled into a 1995 Coupe in the DX trim. The price was perfect but there are some issues with the car. First off the person I bought it from said it did not start. It was abandoned on some property locally and it was believed to have been stolen at one time. The passenger window was busted out some one decided that that a screw driver was better for a key then a key itself. :x
The windshied is busted out and interior is filthy. So I get it to my house and start to play around. I am not a pro by any means. I put a fresh battery in it and it cranked over easily. I then give it some gas and it starts to stumble trying to start. i give it a few seconds and try again. Low and behold she starts idles good but smokes bad. I check the oil and find that it is milky brown and the radiator is nearly empty. Ok so i think it has a blown head gasket. I go ahead and attempt to start it again it takes a little time but it does start. I have a lot of work ahead of me but I am wondering is this civic worth my time. The body is fairly straight and I can fix or replace what needs to be done. I put a new passenger window in this morning and started cleaning it out its cleaning up ok. So just wondering what I should be concerned with on this is it worth my time and money or what. thanks and sorry this is so long.
By CMDeOro
#252823 Well considering that you are on a eg forum. I thik everyone is going to say to go ahead and fix it.

How much did you buy it for? Is it worth it to you. To do the head gasket is gonna run you another 300 to 400.
By Eg6H2D
#252824 If you dont want it ill take it off your hands Lol JK. What you need is a new headgasket. if your doing that might as well do the timing belt and water pump. Since it was sitting for a good period of time. I would say SEAMFOAM the engine after you do the head gasket. Distributor might need some conditioning soon. Also get a new fuel pump RElay that might soon fail too. Also a FULL TUNE UP!!! If you know your way around a honda then this should be an easy task for you. There are plenty of DIY articles here on the site.. in the NOOBIE section on the front page.

:woot:
By Eg6H2D
CMDeOro wrote:Well considering that you are on a eg forum. I thik everyone is going to say to go ahead and fix it.

How much did you buy it for? Is it worth it to you. To do the head gasket is gonna run you another 300 to 400.

If he pays a shop to do it yea... DIY! Less than 100 and some elbow grease..

:thumb:
By crazy_head
#252849 I am new to hondas but not cars. I am not affraid to get my hands dirty and I am growing partial to this car. What am I into it $500 for the car, about $100 in parts I have already bought and replaced. passenger window, ignition switch, battery cables and a few odds and ends. I am 90% sure that the motor is ok because of how well it ran(ALTHOUGH it smoked bad). I found $157.67 in the car while cleaning it this morning plus some used rubbers and a bag of weed. the rubbers and weed went into the trash the money into the budget. I also have acess to a couple die hard honda dudes! One of them is a motor dude he says he can do the head gasket in an afternoon.
By JUICE
crazy_head wrote: I found $157.67 in the car while cleaning it this morning plus some used rubbers and a bag of weed.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
By DontHateonEG8
JUICE wrote:
crazy_head wrote: I found $157.67 in the car while cleaning it this morning plus some used rubbers and a bag of weed.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

should've sold the weed homes!!
By ghskid06
#252899 keep it. Head gaskets can easily be done in an afternoon. The windshield will be a pita though so be ready for that.
By crazy_head
#253323 head was warped but not to bad it will be done at machine shop today in about an hour. We changed the water pump, timing belt. Plan on changing these today plugs wires head gasket intake gasket thermostat. Hope fully she will start up and drive my dumb butt home. So far I am 900 into this car.
By crazy_head
#253560 windshield replaced, still have not put the head back on but Maybe tomorrow.
By JDMchula
#254920 pix would be cool to see your progress :thumb:
By hazetuk
JDMchula wrote:pix would be cool to see your progress :thumb:
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :woot: :woot:
By crazy_head
#255010 Ok ran into some problems but I think we found a solution. but here you go with pics.

By crazy_head
#255013 Image

ok so there are some rough pics of it! I was able to get a donor 4 door civic for a few parts that I have found to be interchangeable. After messing with the original motor out of the coupe we found it needing a rebuild. We pulled the motor from the sedan and will be dropping it in the coupe hopefully tomorrow. I talked with the person who wrecked the 4 door. He said that it ran good and had just been gone through by a mechanic. So if that is true then I should be ok. I am sanding it done and working on the body work so I can repaint it also as you can see from the pics. any one know what rims are on the car???????
By ghskid06
#255023 Definitely worth the trouble. Rims are hx.