Technical Topics specific to the 2 dr. coupe body - NOT where you post pics/build specs of your car.
By 603 jdm
#243122 i just got my first civic finally about a week ago, i need some major advice for things, its got 183k on it stock d15b7 5 speed, i need to do shifter bushings, and it seems like it burns a lil oil so i was wondering if it would be better/ cheaper to fix the valves or to do a vtec z6/y8 head swap and i wanna know how hard it would be to add vtec into the car, the speedo doesnt work but it isnt throwing the cel on so idk what to do with that. i will post pics of it asap, it definitally needs some tlc on the body because the guy i bought it from squared off the top of the rear wheel wells... any advice taken, and also wanna know if an obx twin loop muffler is any good? help a noob out haha
By teal_dx
603 jdm wrote:i just got my first civic finally about a week ago, i need some major advice for things, its got 183k on it stock d15b7 5 speed, i need to do shifter bushings, and it seems like it burns a lil oil so i was wondering if it would be better/ cheaper to fix the valves or to do a vtec z6/y8 head swap and i wanna know how hard it would be to add vtec into the car, the speedo doesnt work but it isnt throwing the cel on so idk what to do with that. i will post pics of it asap, it definitally needs some tlc on the body because the guy i bought it from squared off the top of the rear wheel wells... any advice taken, and also wanna know if an obx twin loop muffler is any good? help a noob out haha

It could be burning oil because of worn valve seals OR worn piston rings. if it is the piston rings, then a head swap isn't going to be the answer.

If you do end up swapping a vtec head (mini-me swap is the common term for this) then Here's some more info for that:
http://www.civic-eg.com/viewtopic.php?t=10

for the speedo not working, it could be a faulty Vehicle Speed Sensor, located on the top back of the transmission. Or just a bad cluster or messed up wiring. The speedometers in these cars are fickle... mine randomly quits every once in a while and then is back to normal after a couple miles.
By 603 jdm
#243158 thanks for the info. and whats your opinion on a obx twin loop muffler? im thinkin bout gettin one for $95. if not is a thrush turbo muffler to ricy? i dont want a fart can.
By dbrooks
#243182 ^^ Ive heard good things about them!
By 603 jdm
#243197 thanks, i just dont want some ricey sounding muffler. it has a new resonator on the exhaust so thts ok. i gotta fix the trunk righ now because the wheel well needs to be patched up inside bc it leaks bad.
By 603 jdm
#243205 also if its the piston rings should i just replace the motor
By 603 jdm
#243450 im sure im in the wrong topic on here but i was wondering how much ls webs with good tires would be? i know someone trying to sell them for 200 and idk if i should or try and ask lower. havent seen the condition of the rims or tires yet.