Technical Topics specific to the 2 dr. coupe body - NOT where you post pics/build specs of your car.
By chnzgoofball
#241816 easiest way that works for me is dropping it from the bottom of the car i used a spare tire on a jack (spare tire facing the cup of the jack) and lifted it from where the shift linkage and exhaust runs under the car and i lifted it around where the shifter goes into the inside of the car

let me know if u need pix of the area so ill can find a pix and edit the pix for u
By crazy-88
#308377 is it really that hard pulling the engine/trans thru the top? I'm about to pull my engine also, this is my first front wheel drive car.
I have a cherry picker and engine leveler.
By FG2_Andrew
#308383 pulling an engine is pulling and engine is pulling an engine.

if you have a hoist, pull it out the top.
if you do not have a hoist, drop it out the bottom.
By crazy-88
#308395 thru the top it is. one last question. how do u dissconect the shifter linkage from the transmission? or does it just pull out?? I've tryed searching, but all the threads seem to skip the process.
By brandoff88
#308397 theres a little pin that connects and holds it in, known as the "bitch" pin as its a pain to get out, you slide teh rubber boot away and you'll see it, gl
By FG2_Andrew
#308400 i've found it best to use a flat nosed punch too.. that is exactly the diameter of the bitch pin. that way you don't mushroom it and have an even harder time getting it in.
By crazy-88
#308406 damn you guys where right! I didnt even move it a bit. took a short cut and just disconnected the linkage from the shifter itself and dragged the whole bar out with it.

now that the engine is out, I realized the engine is rebuilt. it has that little warranty stamp that melts if u over heat.
you guys think I can just swap out the crank and install new crank n rod bearings?
or should I just tear down and replace pistons, and rings too?
By crazy-88
#308414 this is what I'm talking about.
By familyEGuy23
#308429 Not trying to Jack your thread but where did you connect the chain to the motor to pull up?
I also have a cherry picker and trying to drop through the top as well
By crazy-88
teal_dx wrote:What is wrong with the engine that made you decide to pull it?

I broke the balancer bolt and kind of stretched the keyway cut out. tryed to remove the broken pice and I broke every bolt extractor I used.
By crazy-88
familyEGuy23 wrote:Not trying to Jack your thread but where did you connect the chain to the motor to pull up?
I also have a cherry picker and trying to drop through the top as well

on my engine there is a threaded hole above the power steering pump bracket, then second one on the alternator mount, and the third was clipped on the transmission in one of the support brackets.

this method I believe requires u to remove the radiator an condenser, u first support the engine with the hoist, remove the bolts, then remove the two upper motor mounts completely, then just pull the engine forward to clear the motor mount brackets and finish by pulling te engine all the way up.