Technical Topics specific to the 2 dr. coupe body - NOT where you post pics/build specs of your car.
By sdej1turbo
#227715 how it goin everyone i have ej1 civic coupe sohc jdm D15b vtec.
and i have a issue with the temprature climbing after i've driven a while, when i slow down or park while idle the temprature will climb and some times to the top.
i recently installed a slim fan that i think may be faulty but it turns on but not sure it does when it gets hot
and a dump pipe on the turbo wastegate
the problem has just occured and i've had the car setup like that year round daily
i replaced the fluids with water wetter and it seemed to help but the overheating occurs again :?

i had 3 things in mind
a. switch slim fan back to oem
b. taking turbo off
c. swaping to b series motor
By EG6karen.
sdej1turbo wrote:how it goin everyone i have ej1 civic coupe sohc jdm D15b vtec.
and i have a issue with the temprature climbing after i've driven a while, when i slow down or park while idle the temprature will climb and some times to the top.
i recently installed a slim fan that i think may be faulty but it turns on but not sure it does when it gets hot
and a dump pipe on the turbo wastegate
the problem has just occured and i've had the car setup like that year round daily
i replaced the fluids with water wetter and it seemed to help but the overheating occurs again :?

i had 3 things in mind
a. switch slim fan back to oem
b. taking turbo off
c. swaping to b series motor

if that temp climbed all the way to the top, you can count on it that it warped the cylinder head aka blown head gasket. you can try taking out the thermostat and wire up the fan to stay on but more than likely, that head needs to be resurfaced and headgasket replaced. If you're in california... my boyfriend does headgasket jobs for $375 parts and labor... thats including the thermostat and fan switch... just PM me if you are interested :)
By si-b16
#227735 I'd Say switch the fan back to oem and see how that goes, because it does sound like the fan ain't turning on when it gets hot, or it could be the fan switch that isnt working properly.
By EG6karen.
si-b16 wrote:I'd Say switch the fan back to oem and see how that goes, because it does sound like the fan ain't turning on when it gets hot, or it could be the fan switch that isnt working properly.

If his car started overheating AFTER he put the slim fan on then more then likely you have the wires swapped and your fan is set to push air instead of pull air (which can be changed by either putting the fan infront or back of the radiator, OR by the 2 wires that attach to the plug on the fan. ANYWAYS i think more then likely this person over heated the car, warped the motor then he figured it would stop over heating by throwing parts at it (common thing people do)

to the op, just take your motor in for a leakdown test and you will know everything you need to know.
By sdej1turbo
#227839 k thanks for your guys help sounds like it might solve the problem i'll post another if i figure the answer
By sdej1turbo
#227889 put the oem fan and bleeded the coolant and so far so good :woot:
think it was the slimfan maybe it wasn't installed properly or something
By EG6karen.
sdej1turbo wrote:put the oem fan and bleeded the coolant and so far so good :woot:
think it was the slimfan maybe it wasn't installed properly or something

it might of been like what i said, the fan could of been wired improperly so that it was pushing air instead of pulling :thumb: you can put your fan back on but just make sure it pulls air through the radiator instead of pushing