Technical Topics specific to the 2 dr. coupe body - NOT where you post pics/build specs of your car.
By StylezEG
#213277 Hey guys I'm not sure if this should go here but I couldn't find anywhere else to post it. I recently purchased a 1998 EJ7 with 98k for $1100 which was a deal I could not pass up! It runs perfect, no rust, interior is spotless, power windows/locks/mirros. I believe its the HX model as it has no Sunroof or A/C (although it was optional) but has power steering so no muscles. :thumb:

Now here's the problem: When the vehicle is idleing it makes sort of a squeaking noise, but when I press down on the clutch it stops. It shifts smooth into all gears (no grinds). My father was a mechanic for most of his life and he believes it's the transmission that's going. I have yet to bring it to a shop because I've been busy with work.. so I decided to see what you guys think this may be? Thanks in advance!!

-STYLEZ
By Classiccarsrule85
#213279 either the transmission input shaft bearing or the throwout bearing....sounds to me like its that way anyways.....
By StylezEG
#213281 I see. How much do you think it would cost to replace either one of those? As long as I don't have to replace the whole transmission, i'm pretty satisfied. LOL
By Classiccarsrule85
#213292 depends if you do it yourself or have a shop do it either way you have to take the trans out anyhow if its an hx like your thinking youd benifit from a trans swap anyhow from a ex ......depending on your location you can pick up a d series ex transmission for under 200$$ shorter gear ratios a different accelleration that you can actually feel.....

if a shop did it itd be a shit ton of money but thankfully hondas are a mechanics/diy'ers dream to work on so very easy to do things and parts are relatively cheap.....

and if you dont know the service history id suggest getting a clutch kit i can pick these up for around 150 new and this will have the throwout bearing in them.....

now the input shaft bearing ive never replaced so i do not know the price as transmissions are redably available for these cars its rather easy to just go ahead and purchase a different one from a junkyard or something....
By StylezEG
Classiccarsrule85 wrote:depends if you do it yourself or have a shop do it either way you have to take the trans out anyhow if its an hx like your thinking youd benifit from a trans swap anyhow from a ex ......depending on your location you can pick up a d series ex transmission for under 200$$ shorter gear ratios a different accelleration that you can actually feel.....

if a shop did it itd be a shit ton of money but thankfully hondas are a mechanics/diy'ers dream to work on so very easy to do things and parts are relatively cheap.....

and if you dont know the service history id suggest getting a clutch kit i can pick these up for around 150 new and this will have the throwout bearing in them.....

now the input shaft bearing ive never replaced so i do not know the price as transmissions are redably available for these cars its rather easy to just go ahead and purchase a different one from a junkyard or something....

Yeah it will most likely be done by my father. We will be heading to a Junkyard soon to see if we can pick up a transmission, or I might just go and get my money back because the guy never told me it was having transmission problems. :x
By Classiccarsrule85
#213294 well post pics and iff its nice then id say keep it dont bother bitching because im sure he wont give a crap....i mean see if you could get some money back but dont get rid of the car .....just because of something like that if that happened to me i wouldve never known the honda world nor would i be here today because i had to do a couple jobs involving taking the trans out on my hatchback.....they are super easy to find parts for and super easy to fix so no worries there.....

just be on the look out for the following
92-95 civic ex/si d series sohc vtec trans should say i thing p20 on the tag
96-98 civic ex/si(not sure if they had bs in the si's yet) sohc vtec trans
99-00 civic ex transmission

so yea those are the best ones to look out for but if you cant find them and you are in need of a trans asap then get what you can

and a couple hints form someone whose worked on hondas for awhile all your going to need to pull a honda trans is your pho\illips flat heads prybar 32mm for the axel nut or if the cars in the air justunder the ball joints (17mm) and pull out the axel fastest way to do it....besides teh mm sockets 8-19 and 32 and of coarse there counter part wrenches id bring a hammer and i think its a 1/4" punch (for the so called bitchpin and well teh punch makes quick work of this pin.... and that should do it really....
By StylezEG
#213296 So a 93 Civic Si tranny will fit my 98 EJ7? There's one on my local craigslist with 90k for $300. And I will post better pics tomorrow but here is what I have as of now:

It's pretty dropped on cut springs but I already ordered some new ones. Other than the cracked bumper and small damage on the hood, the body is pretty mint... and the interior is flawless.
By teal_dx
#213297 if it is an HX model, it will have a D16y5 stamp on the block. The Intake manifold will look similar to the y8 intake mani, but it will have an EGR valve over the #4 runner. also it will have a vtec solenoid. Also the cat will be built into the header.
If it is a DX, it will have the funky intake manifold that sits further down and no vtec solenoid, no cat built into the header, no EGR valve. Block will be stamped D16y7.

I put an Ex/Si tranny in my hx when I converted to manual and it's kinda fun to zip around town in a short ratio tranny since the D16y5's have so much mid range power (they're a dog at high rpms though)
I still get low to mid 40's MPG on the highway and 38-40 city driving. Eventually I'd like to get a VX or CX tranny for it and I think I'll see 50 MPG highway easily.
By Classiccarsrule85
#213299 its rather nice to be honest for 1100 you can pay 2k for a ek where i live at least....

and yes you can use the 93 civic si, and yea i searched the boston craigslist it seems a bit steap even tho it has low miles in my book....id try and talk the guy down if you coudl get it fr 250 id say its a decent deal all youd have to do is swap out your trans mount on your trans and swap it with the 93 si's i mean the clutch line will work jsut wont bolt up the same either...but it will work
By StylezEG
#213302 teal - Alright bro thanks for that info. I will check tomorrow and see :D

Classic - Yeah man it was quite a deal I couldn't pass up on. What really got me was the low mileage only 98k! Well my friend has a totalled coupe and I believe its an EX. I'm going to ask him tomorrow if he'll sell me the tranny because that would be easier to install right? Because it will be a perfect fit so I wouldn't have to swap the trans mount.. if not I will offer that guy $200 :hehe: Are trans mounts expensive?
By Classiccarsrule85
#213305 just take the trans mount off your transmission

dont know how much the ek trans mount is as i never owned an ek lolnever will i hate obd2

but yea just swap your trans mount over and yea as long as the trans comes from a 96-2000 honda civic D series then it will bolt right in...
By StylezEG
Classiccarsrule85 wrote:just take the trans mount off your transmission

dont know how much the ek trans mount is as i never owned an ek lolnever will i hate obd2

but yea just swap your trans mount over and yea as long as the trans comes from a 96-2000 honda civic D series then it will bolt right in...

Okay... so if I buy the Si trans off CL I will need to buy the mount seperately correct?
By Classiccarsrule85
StylezEG wrote:
Classiccarsrule85 wrote:just take the trans mount off your transmission

Okay... so if I buy the Si trans off CL I will need to buy the mount seperately correct?

like i said before just use the m0ount on your transmission that you have just unbolt it off and rebolt it back on the si if you get it....if you have it no need to buy it dont spend money if you dont have to....
By StylezEG
teal_dx wrote:yes the 92-95 mounts are different than the 96-00 mounts, but the manual transmissions from 92-00 are all interchangeable for D series motors.

I see. Well i'll decide what I will end up doing tomorrow when I speak to my father and bring it to my boy - he works at Pep Boys so hes gonna check it out and give it a free tune-up. :woot: