Technical Topics specific to the 2 dr. coupe body - NOT where you post pics/build specs of your car.
By Geddy
#207707 Im removing my steering gear to drop my crossmember and to get it out i need to remove my tie rods and the steering gear. i can do tie rods but idk what to do to take the steering gear itself off. and my repair book says to mrak the relationship of the steering column and the pinch bolt but theres really nothing to mark.
as you see in the picture.
Any help would be great just need an idea of what to do first so thanks :thumb:
By Classiccarsrule85
#207711 well if you make sure the steering rack is straight and the wheels are straight as well and that should place the steering wheel straight now what i would do is somehow lock the steering wheel so it would turn because if you break the ribbon on the airbag coil well they it wont work etc etc....anyhow once you lock the wheel then take off what you need since i mean unless you mark it with a marker (the knuckle area and the metal plate sicne you really cant mark the post itself )
By Torch_Ind
#207717 use white out or some kind of marker to mark it.

especially if there is no master spline or you will have to take it off a few times to get it perfectly strait.
By Geddy
#207876 There are splines one it but what do i do just make sure the wheels are straight than take the tie rods off and then take the pinch bolt off?
and will it come out after that or is there more cause there is no room to mark anything there at all. :?
By Torch_Ind
#207887 Image

put white out or something to mark it that won't wipe off and take out the pinch bolt and it should slide of with some elbow grease!! try and keep steering wheel and steering gear so they don't move so your not out 1 turn. if you are out one turn your steering wheel will be off and you could brake stuff in your steering wheel for horn/controls/air bag wiring in the sir coil. and will be off center and drive you crazy.
By Geddy
#207908 ok will the regular lock work for the steering wheel to keep it in place?
and is that the only thing that needs to come be loosened the pinch bolt and unbolt the tie rods and it should come out after that
By Torch_Ind
Geddy wrote:ok will the regular lock work for the steering wheel to keep it in place?
and is that the only thing that needs to come be loosened the pinch bolt and unbolt the tie rods and it should come out after that

you have to take the pinch bolt out. and yes tie rods and possibly p/s lines if you have p/s.

it may also be bolted in from under the car as well. or bolted to a sub-frame.
like this

By Geddy
#207992 i dont have ps so thats all good and i already unbolted it on both sides of the crossmember cause thats the part that i am replacing.
so ill give it a go and tell post how it turns out or if i need anymore help
thanks everyone :thumb:
By Torch_Ind
Geddy wrote:i dont have ps so thats all good and i already unbolted it on both sides of the crossmember cause thats the part that i am replacing.
so ill give it a go and tell post how it turns out or if i need anymore help
thanks everyone :thumb:

good luck dude!!
By Geddy
#208417 thanks for all your help :thumb:
By Torch_Ind
Geddy wrote:thanks for all your help :thumb:

every thing go well!!
By Geddy
#208561 yep i didnt have to take the gear off after all. when i took the tie rod ends out there was enough play (with some coaxing) to get my crossmember out. then bolted the new one on and everyhing went smooth after that :thumb:
well except for the rear motor mount it was a real PITA but with patience it all bolted up thanks again for your help :woot: