Technical Topics specific to the 2 dr. coupe body - NOT where you post pics/build specs of your car.
By jrhdominos
#164239 Well here's my story... I bought my 1994 Honda Civic Dx coupe for $500 from an older gentleman who said that he had not driven this car in about 7 mths. He claimed that he heard a "flopping noise" when he tried to crank it up one morning, and claimed that he thought it was the timing belt...lol. Well, just the other day, I decided it was time to take a look under the hood and see just what might be wrong with my car. It turns out that the timing belt seems to be in perfect condition, and everything seems to be in order, (no bent valves, etc.) I decided, based on my analysis when I tried cranking the car, that it isn't getting any fuel, I sprayed some starting fluid into the throttle body, and to my surprise, it sputtered to life!! I also don't hear the fuel pump whine when I turn the key to the "on" position. I'd really like some advice on maybe what I should do next before I spend money on unecessary parts, ya know? Anything would be helpful, thanks fellas!!!
By chrono404
#164256 Most likely the Main Fuel Relay. Its common to go out.
Its this box next to your main fuse box inside the car.
You can get one out of any 92-95 Civic or any 94-01 Integra.

Instead of getting a used one, I would recommend buying a Brand new one, Honda made a new style one which doesn't have the issues of the old ones.
eBay page for Brand new Redesigned Fuel Relay

I had 3 or 4 old used main fuel relays, and I swapped between them about every 6-7 Months. I then bought the new redesigned one and have not needed to change it out ever, Only change I have done since I got it was swapping it into my New EG out of my old EJ I was selling.
By elrompetoto
#164263 Ok check 2 c if ur getting power 2 the pump with a test light if ur not getting power then check fuses if there good then grab ur ecu and try it on one of ur freinds eg if it turns there car on then try ur main relay on there car if relay and ecu r good u mite have a wire problem mite be cut some where this is rare if its cut some where iff all of that fails then pull out the pump and check if its not burn out allso b4 u got thru all of this take off the fule filter and check 2 make sure ur not getting gas
By jrhdominos
#164273 thanks fellas for everything, i get paid tomorrow so we will see whats up. hey chrono... inlinefour.com offers an oem fuell relay for $60.00. That would be the one I need i guess, right? But before I do that it would be wise to check and see if the fuel pump is actually good or bad?? How would i be able to check this???
By chrono404
jrhdominos wrote:thanks fellas for everything, i get paid tomorrow so we will see whats up. hey chrono... inlinefour.com offers an oem fuell relay for $60.00. That would be the one I need i guess, right? But before I do that it would be wise to check and see if the fuel pump is actually good or bad?? How would i be able to check this???

I looked on their site and this page is the one you would need.

You can check your wiring at the pump. However if your relay has gone bad you wont be getting power back there. If it was getting power your pump would prime and pump fuel.

If you going to check anything before buying anything. Swap out Main Fuel Relays with one of your friends, As long as they have a 92-95 Civic or a 94-01 Integra it will be a direct swap and will work. ECU's can stop an engine from starting. However they wont stop your fuel pump from priming.

Good Luck! :thumb:
By jrhdominos
#164338 Chrono, thanks man everything is greatly appreciated, and like I said I will get right on this no later than Thursday and let you know how this works out!!
By jrhdominos
#165232 Okay well today I got the fuel relay and to my disappointment, it seems that the fuel relay is not the problem, so now im thinking that my main concern would be the fuel pump...Again like I said I still dont hear the fuel pump cut on...but now im certain that the relay is good...any suggestions???
By Classiccarsrule85
jrhdominos wrote:Okay well today I got the fuel relay and to my disappointment, it seems that the fuel relay is not the problem, so now im thinking that my main concern would be the fuel pump...Again like I said I still dont hear the fuel pump cut on...but now im certain that the relay is good...any suggestions???

if you have a multi metre check the resistance and what notand compare them in arepair manual to the right readings if its within tolerances then you should be all right to decide what it may be....are there any check engine lights?, ummmmsee if you cant swap out the ecu quick and see if that may be the problem just test it....

and if all that looks right then i would possibly try and trace wires maybe during that 7mo of non use a wire either got corroded or maybe chewed by a mouse.....or other rodent...
By jrhdominos
#165387 Thanks, 85..I'll be sure to look into all that..I've order a fuel pump which I got a pretty good deal on, oh and about the check engine light..I've taken my old gauge cluster out..looking back I should have kept it..but I also have one on the way (an Si one with a tachometer) so as soon as that all comes in.. we'll see whats up..all the advice is greatly appreciated
By Classiccarsrule85
#165391 no problem glad to help :) hope things work themselves out so yea just keep us updated
By jrhdominos
#166596 Hey fellas I got the car running, turns out it was the fuel pump..Crazy thing happened tho..I got the fuel pump off of ebay, the person that sold it lives in Illinois it was so rusted up that the when I went to take the return line off of it, it broke off..no biggie tho I just swapped the part that mattered to my old fuel pump, and it runs great.. Time to get it tuned up and clean up what I can, get it insured and on the road..oh yeah after I get the new gauge cluster.
By matt j
#167025 congrats man!