North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, Maryland, Deleware, New Jersey
By CScivic22
#39640 ok first of all i am so fuckin mad at this fucking cop! sorry for the colorful language but i so mad! :x :x :x i got stopped tonight because he said my exhust was loud and because i ashed on his pants with my cigarette haha. but.....what are the laws about the loud exhaust, i found you cannot go over the 95 db limit. i even said to the cop i was like do you got a db meter and he looked at my funny and was like no. i was like then you cant do shit. but legally if i say i want a db test they have to give me one right there or they cant give me a ticket. but if i go to court does anyone have any ideas to win the fight. i not paying these asshole cops around here that have nothing better to do then harass anyone who has a better car then they can ever have. haha
By BAXTER_EJ1
#39643 In court, ask for evidence that your exhaust was above the legal limit. The cop can't say "I heard it" that's not admissible in court.

If he didn't take any readings with a db meter then he has shit. If he gave you a ticket, verify ALL of the information on the ticket is correct, if even the date, the spelling of your name or ANY information is incorect, you can legally say "This information is incorrect and therefore not evidence against me".

Give us any more info you can or about what happens.
By tomogchi
#40359 Its not worth having an after market exhaust anymore... I have been given so many exhaust tickets its not even funny.

"Any modification to the stock exhaust system is illegal." Meaning, if its not OEM, and he can prove it, the ticket is yours to pay.

I have ran everything from an N1 exhaust to a custom 2.5" SS w/OB twin loop, to stock mufflers.... The tone isn't worth the cost of exhaust tickets-thank god there non moving violations.
85$ fine - 55$ surcharge.

i averaged almost 2 a week for a month. after getting 7 tickets in 30 days i gave in and just put a Muffler from a Saturn SL1 on it. Theres still a tone, but more of like a touring "tone" versus the "deep/guttural/barf" growl from the N1 exhuast.
By 94hatch13
#53689 i got pulled over for the same thing and he didnt use a db meter, my ticket was for $225 loud exhaust, i was like ok ill see you in court, went to court and they brought it to a $50 donation, but if he doesnt pull out a meter to read it let the court know that he didnt read it with the meter and they should throw it out or reduce it, believe me i know DANBURY COPS SUCK.
By LowTEC-Derbo
BAXTER_EJ1 wrote:In court, ask for evidence that your exhaust was above the legal limit. The cop can't say "I heard it" that's not admissible in court.

If he didn't take any readings with a db meter then he has shit. If he gave you a ticket, verify ALL of the information on the ticket is correct, if even the date, the spelling of your name or ANY information is incorect, you can legally say "This information is incorrect and therefore not evidence against me".

Give us any more info you can or about what happens.

sadly in california, a officer's judgement is valid for determining if it is loud. In our state, we also have a test that is a BAR test that certifies your exhaust to meet the maximum limits.