North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, Maryland, Deleware, New Jersey
By teal_dx
#121688 http://plasticsnews.com/blog/2009/06/ta ... _away.html

Starting Oct. 1, it will be illegal to throw away plastic bottles in North Carolina.

According to this story in the Elizabeth City, N.C., Daily Advance, the law will prohibit disposal of rigid plastic containers. Scott Mouw, environmental supervisor for the state Department of the Environment and Natural Resources, told the newspaper that the state expects a huge environmental payoff, in addition to economic benefits. By collecting more HDPE and PET, local recyclers will benefit, as well as the state's plastics processors.

Mike Verespej, Plastics News' staff reporter who covers recycling, talked to Mouw for some stories recently, too. In our recent special report on recycling, Verespej's sources noted that the market for HDPE is "a little bleak" right now, while PET is experiencing an uptick.

I enjoyed some of the reader comments on the Daily Advance story. One reader suggests that the government pay people to go to the dumps and sort trash for recycling. Wouldn't it be easier collect them in a recycling bin, rather than digging through a landfill?
By Chance
#121689 Image
By Chance
#121690 although recycling = goooood :thumb:
By ohDirka
#121861 I recycle :thumb: but Trash and recycling is free here in Florida..
By chrono404
Chance wrote:Image

x2

How are they going to enforce this is what I wanna know. Are the police going to stand by every dumpster/garbage can waiting for you to slip up?

I can see this if enforced to a lot more litter, If people cant throw out bottles in a garbage can, then they will throw them out a window going down the road.

Tree hugger hippies, Recycling is good and all, But forcing people to comply is kinda a Ducher Move. Pissing in the sink will save the envorment some water. LETS make it a Law that Every one has to piss in a Sink.
:lol:
By Apexiracer
#149929 I have noticed alot of the plastic bins to recycle them in my school, so that I brought up the question in my criminal justice class. My teacher had this to say about it "They can try to enforce it, but since it is something that is such widely used by many they cant prosicute you unless they see you throught them in there" So in other words it is illegal but hard to enforce!
By Carfanatic
#149930 lol....