Photoshopped images & requests, show off your Photography
By kapow
#242290 I've been looking for suggested settings to use when shooting video. Obviously, it's best to shoot using manual exposure. The most I've seen is that shutter speed needs to be twice the frame rate. So, if you use 30 fps, use 1/60. If 24fps, use 1/50. I haven't found any tips on recommended ISO, or how to shoot in different lighting conditions (low-light or bright outdoor.) Right now, I just adjust the ISO, but not sure if that's the best way. I use the 17-55 f2.8 lens, so I should be good with the aperture. Anyone have more tips? Thanks!
By Flatland_EG
#242340 One thing to remember is that the higher the ISO the grainier the picture is going to be.
I don't have a DSLR but when I got my first digital I just played around with the settings and pretty much taught myself how to use it as well as picking up tips from friends and online forums.
Just fiddle around with your camera a bit and things will fall into place, take lots of pictures and compare different settings, there's always something new to learn.
By Chance
#242342 Do you have the manual? I'd read that then read it again. There really is not 'ideal/general' setting, it all depends on the subject your shooting, the lighting, what you look to get out of it. So just know your camera and the functions are key. Play around with it!! and shoot a bunch each day!
By kapow
Chance wrote:Do you have the manual? I'd read that then read it again. There really is not 'ideal/general' setting, it all depends on the subject your shooting, the lighting, what you look to get out of it. So just know your camera and the functions are key. Play around with it!! and shoot a bunch each day!

I do have a manual but it's in cantonese :( But thanks for the tips guys
By kapow
#257781 I forgot to say thanks. Cheers bud :)
By skateruptown
#267594 WOAH, one thing i can recommend is go check out Philip Bloom and some of his tuts on DSLR videography hes got a sick full length video i torented awhile ago and it goes over everything you should be doing for settings ect. Shooting with DSLR is so much harder then a reg vid camera i went from a Sony vx2000 to my T2i. Also use manual focus lol and lots of practise!
By kapow
skateruptown wrote:WOAH, one thing i can recommend is go check out Philip Bloom and some of his tuts on DSLR videography hes got a sick full length video i torented awhile ago and it goes over everything you should be doing for settings ect. Shooting with DSLR is so much harder then a reg vid camera i went from a Sony vx2000 to my T2i. Also use manual focus lol and lots of practise!

I know this was ages ago. But since you told me to look up Philip Bloom, i've been watching every single tutorial, and reading his blog, reviews etc. That guy is the innovator of film making!! It's helped me out heaps!