Relating to the site
By teal_dx
#118090 Thinking about it more... the main problem with subscriptions is that it is all going to have to be tracked. I'm going to have to figure out who paid every month and who hasn't. then I'll have to compare the paypal payments to the screen name they go to.
Some people will be late and I'll have to send reminders, or they may just not pay one month and I'll have to change their status, then change it back when they pay again.
It will be a little bit easier if I used a Usergroup but still will be time consuming.

So really, the VIP section would mostly be an escape from n00bs. We could say that dedicated members with VIP status would have extra consideration when it comes time to add mods (who really wants to pay to do work though :P )
By marvinp8700
#118095 in for VIP section
not in for no NWS
label it and ur good
By Joplies
#118097 Im down for a donation or even the VIP membership idea. Civic-eg has given so much to me its only fair that i pay you guys back right?
By Chance
#118098 You could always do a flat fee for a year. that way you dont have to deal with payments every month! ALSO make it a payment/start up period like say one week a year is the only time you can sign up. That way you control when people can sign up/pay! idk hope that isnt confusing. Then if you need anymore moniez throughout the year you can open a bonus date where peeps can sign up! :wink:
By chrono404
#118100 I am down for no nsfw. Makes visiting the site work safe. I cant jump onto homemade turbo at work for this reason alone. :lol:

Maybe all NSFW stuff goes into the VIP Section, maybe an area for us to upload small stuff, i.e. stuff under 10meg. Such as albums that VIPs could dl, Small games, movies, pics, comics, etc.

That woudl bump up your bandwidth use though. Just throwing ideas out there.
By ohDirka
#118113 I think it would be best to do a yearly membership and I'm sure there is some application that allows you to do the payment directly to the site.
By teal_dx
#118121 I'm not too concerned about the NSFW posts. There's not too many and the few that aren't work safe have NSFW in the title. Plus the Junk Yard is the only place where NSFW posts are allowed. So really if you're at work, just don't click a thread with NSFW in the title and you'll be fine. There's been a couple people who didn't read the rules and had questionable avatars, but they were quick to change them after a PM.

I come from some other sites littered with NSFW threads, so this place feels pretty clean to me.

The yearly signup is a good idea, but if we make it Jan 1 and someone joins in Feb, then that will be 11 months before they become VIP.
Dirk, I'll look into a aftermarket mod that can do all this. VB has them so phpbb should too.
I think one thing that should be a requirement is a minimum post count. Nothing too high, but the VIP should be kid of reserved, not for a noob to join on their first day.
By teal_dx
#118201 I was just about to email the hosting company back, asking them if there was anything else I could do to keep my current plan and noticed they wrote in the email
The only way we can continue being your host is to be on a minimum of VPS 512m solution or a Dedicated Essential server.

I was way off. The 512 MB VPS s $89/mo or $900 annually :shock:
Yeah, we're fucked :werd:

I'm going to try disabling some more things on the site such as the spam log and search engine bots.
The spam log recorded the user, time, post, etc. every time it was suspected as spam. And although keeping the search engine bots off the forum is counterproductive to how we got up so high in the search results, I'll give up being in google's search results any day to keep the site up & running on the current plan.
Some of you know a lot more than I do about this stuff... If you can think of anything else I can cut out to save resources, please chime in :thumb:
By Joplies
#118211 Yeah but the whole membership thing would solve that though plus some. Right? :?
By ohDirka
#118228 I've been thinking about how to make a donation to the site for some time now so I'm already down with a membership. I'll just use the money I made off some of Ford's stocks that I bought. :thumb:
By smokinsoljah420
teal_dx wrote: Yeah, we're fucked :werd:

Eek thats the last thing ive wanted to ever hear from your mouth brian. :( Dont worry well figure something out. :D
By ChicagoMike
#118548 ----> DONATED <----

A contribution has been sent. :thumb:
By drago742gtr
#118599 ima go put some money in the gf's bank account and donate some money civic eg helped me out a few times now and i dont mind tryin to help out :thumb: