Relating to the site

Would a Photo Gallery be useful on Civic-EG.com?

76%
24%
By teal_dx
#8804 As the site continues to grow, new features will always be added from time to time...

Some sites have a Photo Gallery in them that lets users upload their own photos. This would be hosted by civic-eg.com so as long as there is no abuse to the system, I don't see any issues.

- Image hosting to upload all your car pics, meet pics, etc.
- Images uploaded can be shared on other civic sites.
- Images uploaded will be batched, sized & stamped with the civic-eg logo in the lower corner.

If the bandwith ever gets out of control, the gallery would have to be shut down.

There's the Civic-EG Garage that has photo uploads, but the Garage is more about the Mod list of your cars, with photos to go along.

I know there's photobucket, imagestation, etc. out there that most people already use... but give the Demo a look through and post your thoughts on why this wold be a good/useless addition to the site!

Here's a demo of the photogallery:
http://coppermine-gallery.net/demo/cpg1 ... .php?cat=7

Here's a forum using this gallery:
http://www.buckeyestangs.com/cmine/
By chnzgoofball
#8817 i say give it a try and see how it turns out!! :thumb:
By LaMbErT*
#8829 I voted no because i feel that people would be too busy uploading the photos onto that system than onto the forum istelf as ive seen before! And also it draws people away from the forum and its usefull info and onto they pics !
By york62
#8834 i said no too, one of my local car forums, i help out with a bit and i knwo we got rid of the gallery cause it slowed the site down allot.
By teal_dx
#8837 Good comments so far.

Each member would have a certain amount of storage for pics, say 5 MB for example. Members can delete their own uploaded pics if they ever ran out of room and wanted to upload new stuff.

Also, not any person on the internet would be able to join and upload. The only way to join & upload would be through having an Admin set up your user name. This way only registered users can upload pics and everyone would have their same user name for the photo album.

Of course, the speed of the rest of the site is more important than an image gallery.
I suppose if too many people uploading images will cause a slowdown, then the gallery could be used only for civic-eg related stuff or meet pics. Then members could continue using their Garage for their own vehicles.
By york62
teal_dx wrote:Good comments so far.

Each member would have a certain amount of storage for pics, say 5 MB for example. Members can delete their own uploaded pics if they ever ran out of room and wanted to upload new stuff.

Also, not any person on the internet would be able to join and upload. The only way to join & upload would be through having an Admin set up your user name. This way only registered users can upload pics and everyone would have their same user name for the photo album.

Of course, the speed of the rest of the site is more important than an image gallery.
I suppose if too many people uploading images will cause a slowdown, then the gallery could be used only for civic-eg related stuff or meet pics. Then members could continue using their Garage for their own vehicles.

i think that would be a good idea.. i don't really think that garage is to crowed or anything, so maby Get the gallery and just use it for meet stuff or something.
By asianrob
#8844 its sounds good but if you had one for like demostration/how to etc.. it would be good but depends what it is yo :D band width bandwidth bandwidth lol and i bet some of us still has 56K internet lol
By ohDirka
#8859 would there be distribution of stickers at this meet?
By civicnation93
#8879 I voted yes, would be a great idea but many positive/possible negative downsides of this...as everyone had said it could slow down the site, this could also possibly be a good way to bring Traffic through to this forum by "PERHAPS" advertising that selected members or say only members with more than 50+ posts example will be able to upload pics and use them for whatever...try and keep it Honda related, etc. With the +50 post only usuable feature it would also give new members or even old existing ones who dont post as much an incentive to come here more often and post opinions/valuable information...Thats my 2 cents /shrug try it out and see how it goes...if goes to hell you can always take it away np

:fucker: [smilie=argue.gif] [smilie=BangHead.gif]
By ChicagoMike
LaMbErT* wrote:I voted no because i feel that people would be too busy uploading the photos onto that system than onto the forum istelf as ive seen before! And also it draws people away from the forum and its usefull info and onto they pics !

I'm gonna have to agree with Lambert, so my vote is no.
By teal_dx
#9051 I like the idea of only making it available to members who have over a certain # of posts. I was all for it at first, now I'm 50/50. I set up a demo and I've been messing with it. It's working good so far.

They say "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" and nobody seems to have problems hosting their images so far...

On the plus side though, it would help get the site name out there more with the logo stamped onto each corner.

Still though, I might just leave things be and if anyone ever needs civic related pics hosted, then I can upload them to the site for them being emailed a .zip file....

If it was going to be available to members with a certsin # of posts, it would be something kind of high like Jr. Member post range. That way the photo gallery would be like a special privelage to say thanks to our long term & active members. I like the sound of that. 8)
By LaMbErT*
#9052 Have to agree with the "if it aint broke dont fix it" mate. But i do also agree with the civic-eg.com being printed somewhere on the pics, but even in that case i still say no.
By pacmanlives
#9399 i have never used copermine gallery.
I have always had good luck with Gallery. gallery.menalto dot com