Relating to the site
By teal_dx
#343908 New Forum UPDATE: Current To-Do List
1. Finish indexing search (some searches might not work yet)
2. All users need to update any links to their build threads in their sigs. They now point to the old forum, which is closed.
example, mine is "http://civic-eg.com/viewtopic.php?t=39" but needs to ba edited to "http://civic-eg.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=39"
3. Add mobile template
4. Update the look of the forum.

I've been busy with the server & forum and there's going to be a major change soon... We're leaving phpbb2 and converting to phpbb3.

I hate to mess with something that has nearly been perfected and customized over the years, but we're running on some OLD software.

The main reasons for converting to phpbb3 is the image attachment feature (no more photo bucket hosting & linking will be needed) and it will be a step closer to making the site more mobile friendly. There's a lot of other standard features which were already manually added to this forum, as well as some new ones.

Posts will not be deleted. I recently deleted a bunch of inactive users, so if you're reading this, congrats :P

Things you should back up if they are important to you:
- Private messages
- Any pics or content from the Garage (which hasn't worked in years anyways)
- Your Avatar and Signature

I'll keep you all updated on when the switch to 3 will happen, it will most likely be short notice (one night when I have enough time to do it and there's no hiccups in the process).

I'm sure it's going to take a little getting used to, but it's going to be much better in the long run. Things are going to look weird/plain/generic after the switch, until I get all of the important mechanical stuff ironed out. Then, I'll work on getting the forum to look like the forum we're used to, but more modern.

So stay tuned and don't freak out if you log in and everything looks crazy.
By Leppy
#343910 :thumb:

Let me know if you need any assistance. You can PM me and i'll give you my skype if discussion is needed. Least I can do for such a valuable resource, since everyone here is like a little family.
By TrailerTrash
#343911 looking forward to this very much :thumb:
By ottofalcon
#343947 Great news keep us posted!
By silverEG8
#343948 Thanks.
By ohDirka
#344208 bump :thumb:
By teal_dx
#355347 So Here we are a year and a half later... on Version 3 :woot:

The database was a disaster and error after error kept the conversion script from running. I researched each one, fixed it, tried again and came across the next error... repeat. Certain things kept not being carried over etc... I put the forum on the back burner for a while this year as other things came up but had some free time lately to figure out the remaining details.

I gave it a test run yesterday, and it worked :shock: :shock: I was kind of surprised.

There may be some issues, so please post them in this thread as you notice them.
Once I get the technical bugs worked out, I'll update the appearance of the forum.

What's New?
- upload attachments is finally here!
- The new software will be tablet and phone ready. I'm working on that next. (it should only be a couple weeks instead of another 18 months :wink: )
- Forum should be faster with new update and alot of obsolete add-ons that were on the old forum have been left behind.

Enjoy, it will continue to get better from here :thumb:
By teal_dx
#355364 Had the forum disabled for about 5 hrs today doing tome behind the scenes stuff... Don't get used to this stock phpbb3 skin, the new one is almost ready :thumb:
By TrailerTrash
#355381 cant wait for the finished product! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: