Relating to the site
By jedrick
#339636 I was wondering if there is a guide on how to start adding mods to your car(is there an order that should be followed?) so some of us new to the game dont mess up their cars--- i have looked and looked and havent seen anything, so if there is can someone please point me in the right direction and if not can someone with time write up a guide and maybe make it sticky in the newbie section so newcomers can get an idea on what to do,for example i know u shouldnt add nitro to a non modified engine cause u will proly blow it up... and it just doesnt sound smart and before some of u start saying oh its possible is still a dumb idea if the car can take it,anyways is there such a guide? or can we get some people togheter and make one? thanks in advance for any replies and any help, Merry Christmas!! :twisted: proly wrong section so relocate if necesary please
By jedrick
#339637 If any of you have any feed back i'd love to hear it
By ohDirka
jedrick wrote:I was wondering if there is a guide on how to start adding mods to your car(is there an order that should be followed?)
so some of us new to the game dont mess up their cars--

This is a hard thing to do. Modifications vary so much in the world of cars that it would almost be impossible to do. This is especially hard to do with these cars because there are so many different engines that were installed from the factory not to mention the amount of engine swaps in this chassis is especially high. Everybody also has their own goals. It would be pointless for us to make a list of mods to do, then someone wants more power, then all those parts are incompatable. We are a community that is about DIY and doing mods that are cheap. We care about each other here and we dont like to misguide someone and essentially spend their money.

jedrick wrote:for example i know u shouldnt add nitro to a non modified engine cause u will proly blow it up...

This is not entirely true. If it is done right then you could run it for a while. I know a couple people that have run nitrous on stock b16's for a long time.

jedrick wrote:and it just doesnt sound smart and before some of u start saying oh its possible is still a dumb idea if the car can take it,anyways is there such a guide?
or can we get some people togheter and make one?

There has been talk about making something but like I already stated, it is very hard to make a cookie cutter list because of the vast amount of variables.

jedrick wrote:thanks in advance for any replies and any help, Merry Christmas!! :twisted:
proly wrong section so relocate if necesary please

Moved to questions and comments.

If you just want to start modding QUALITY intake, headers and exhaust is always a good place to start.

I hope this helps and point you in the right direction. :thumb:
By teal_dx
#339664 I couldn't agree more- if you're going to install a part, install a quality part the first time. :thumb:

It's really about personal preference depending on how you will be using your car.

My favorite mod on our civics is suspension. It makes the car so much more fun to drive all the time and it also makes it look better (lower).
By jedrick
#339673 so if i install the "best" intake my car wont act funny cause is getting too much air? what happen to this air to fuel ratio thing?
By mitch6
jedrick wrote:so if i install the "best" intake my car wont act funny cause is getting too much air? what happen to this air to fuel ratio thing?

Installing an intake on your car will not affect your air/fuel ratio. Also your engine is not really taking in "more air", rather it is allowing your car to "breathe better", and cause less restrictions. Now if we are talking about forced induction, that is a different story.

So adding the "Best" intake onto your car will not cause your car to act "funny" but rather allow your car to breath better, and in turn this can slightly increase HP, not by much, maybe 1-2 HP if all stock motor at best. An intake can also help improve your gas mileage depending on how hard you drive and also make your car sound awesome!

Hope that clears things for your :thumb:

Also upgrading the exhaust is the same idea essentially :D
By jedrick
#339704 It really does clear things up and i appreciate,the genuine want to help others on this forum

Now what about Exhaust? can u tell me a lil about that is it the same concept as intake just lets it be more efficent in general? thank you guys you guys are awesome..... :woot: :woot:
By mitch6
jedrick wrote:It really does clear things up and i appreciate,the genuine want to help others on this forum

Now what about Exhaust? can u tell me a lil about that is it the same concept as intake just lets it be more efficent in general? thank you guys you guys are awesome..... :woot: :woot:

Yes it is a similar concept in the sense you are allowing your motor to breathe better. With an larger or upgraded exhaust system, you are able to expel the exhaust out from the motor to the atmosphere with less restrictions. Think about it as your sink. The more you open the fossett the more water is able to pass through while under the same pressure for a given amount of time due to less restriction. Its easier for the water to pass through with a larger opening.

Same goes for your exhaust, and you are making your car work less to expel the exhaust fumes, which is easier on your system. The less your car has to work, typically the better fuel economy you have, so this can also slightly improve your fuel mileage depending on how you drive.

The intake has a similar concept because there is less restrictions for the air to flow into your motor, but this does not mean you motor is taking in a larger amount of air into your cylinders. You would need proper tuning and forced induction to force more air into your cylinders typically. But that is far more complicated that these two concepts.

In terms of horsepower, it will maybe add 1-2 HP if your lucky. Horsepower is very expensive, and these simple mods wont do much unless your vehicle is tuned.

Hope this helps! :thumb: