Relating to the site
By OGv2iik
#246183 I didn't see an official website suggestion thread and I think C-EG could use one.. That being said:

****** RULES ******
1. I will try to link to all suggestions in an index, please utilize it!
2. Please keep the thread clean.
3. Do NOT flame anyone's ideas.. educate and discuss like ADULTS.

------------------------------------------------------------

INDEX:
Page 1 - layout and membership updates
Last edited by OGv2iik on Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By OGv2iik
#246190 i have been sitting back as an unregistered user for a while and have gotten tired of the layout we have now. and i think with the new season approaching, a new layout and logo would be a great way to jump start the year!

something simplistic and sophisticated would be really cool and if funding is an issue i have a solution for it:

i was on the club____.com websites and noticed people can donate to the site $10/6 months and $20/12 months and gain VIP access and earn a badge under their usernames stating they are VIP and donated to the forum/site. i believe that's a great way to get more people involved and a way to raise money for something we'd all like to see around for a long time.

i'd also like to see the members have a section to forum their own squads and crews and pages to promote them! kinda like myspace/facebook meets an automotive forum.

i understand all this is a ways away... (if it even happens) but lets hear some more suggestions! and if anyone can offer services to help Teal out, holler. :thumb:
By teal_dx
#246380 I was waiting to see if anyone was going to add to your ideas but here's my .02

We've talked about the VIP idea a couple times in the moderator's area but never did it because:
1. Useful info could be posted in areas where not everyone would have access to view it. There would need to be some guidelines to be sure that didn't happen.

2. And mainly because the forum software we currently use does not support an integrated VIP membership option. That means that someone would need to keep a manual list of who joined, how long they signed up for, when their fees are due, and marking down who's paid up, who's no longer a VIP etc... It could get time consuming.

3. There's something about keeping a site completely open and 100% free that seems more welcoming to me. Civic-EG is currently self sustainable from sticker & shirt sales plus the help from the site vendors sponsors who advertise here. There was a rough patch when we had to upgrade to VPS hosting, but donations from members helped us through that :thumb:

However I understand what you're saying about dedicated die-hard civic-eg members wanting to become more. When we eventually change forum software and VIP is supported, we'll look into VIP access. Maybe those VIP members could become pard of a board of members who can help us make decisions on merchandise, new forum sections, meets etc. But for now, the PHPBB forum is working great and we have spammers 99.9% under control so it if ain't broke, don't fix it :D

I really like your idea about the section for squads & crews :woot:
I'm going to open up a new section of the forum for this. Right now there's some threads floating around like Teal Hatch, Panda, white sedans etc... but I can never find them. Putting all the squad threads in 1 area is a great idea :thumb:

Lets keep the comments coming!
By dbrooks
#246673 i second the squads and crews idea! that would be fun. VIP would be sweet, when its easily obtainable. i think most would pay the fee to do it!

i think we should start seriously talking about having a big civic-eg show somewhere. that would be awesome, but a lot of people cant get off work that easy. my aunt and uncle are apart of the mustang club of america and they have different national show throughout the year. i promote civic-eg everyday, because i would love to see us being able to do something awesome like that :thumb:
By Ajax1989
#246747 i 3rd the squads

hater-tech has there ej1 squad nd ferio squad nd shet

lets have a offical civic-eg ferio sqaud or ej1 squad
we can have our own stickers nd shet

but another thing is
one reason this site is chill and well manitained
is cuz its not hella big like H-T
its a nice small community where everyone gets along
and there is no flaming nd shet

my main concern is if this site gets tooo big
it could end up like H-T
By teal_dx
dbrooks wrote:
I think we should start seriously talking about having a big civic-eg show somewhere.

Because we have members all over the country (and world) it's really up to each region to organize their own events. For example, we have an Ohio Civic-EG meet usually every summer and it's always a good time.
Start by posting a thread in your local area on this forum and see where it goes :thumb: I remember the first Ohio meet we had 4 cars and half weren't even civics... then every year got bigger and bigger. The last meet had 20-30 people.
By teal_dx
94_jdm_ferio wrote:....
but another thing is
one reason this site is chill and well manitained
is cuz its not hella big like H-T
its a nice small community where everyone gets along
and there is no flaming nd shet

True, I would rather have 100 members who are respectful and who aren't going to talk trash and fill the forum with worthless threads than 1000 members. (unless it is in the Junk Yard of course!)

Part of keeping things respectful, friendly and helpful is to ban the haters early on. When someone new comes to this forum for the first time, they can see what kind of place it is and figure out if they fit in here or want to go to another honda forum where people make fun of each other most of the time.
The mods / admins do a good job of keeping this place clean :thumb:
By TrailerTrash
#246872 Personally I think the squads/crews thing is pointless and not worth the effort to establish. but thats just me everyone sees things differently.

and that brings up the very best thing about this forum... I can voice my opinion and not fire up a 3 page flame fest just because i have a different way of thinking. things like that just don't fly on any other forum I have ever been on. mainly youknowwhat-tech. civic-eg is the best forum i have ever come across in all my years of foruming :thumb: and I also think that it is pretty much perfect exactly the way it is now.

I would like to add one thing though. the little titles and icons that the mods dish out to members... I get a kick out of them and would like to see more :thumb: it makes this site feel more personal like an online eg loving family so to speak :woot:
By ogxandrew
TrailerTrash wrote:Personally I think the squads/crews thing is pointless and not worth the effort to establish. but thats just me everyone sees things differently.

and that brings up the very best thing about this forum... I can voice my opinion and not fire up a 3 page flame fest just because i have a different way of thinking. things like that just don't fly on any other forum I have ever been on. mainly youknowwhat-tech. civic-eg is the best forum i have ever come across in all my years of foruming :thumb: and I also think that it is pretty much perfect exactly the way it is now.

I would like to add one thing though. the little titles and icons that the mods dish out to members... I get a kick out of them and would like to see more :thumb: it makes this site feel more personal like an online eg loving family so to speak :woot:
\

i am in a crew on HT and have made some great friends by surfing through their crew threads and seeing what personalities are close to me.. i am suppose to make a trip down to TN and visit some of them. it's not a bad idea.

it's not a worthless idea and is easily feasible, create new forum > subject: Squads and Crew > new thread > On It's Nuts Crew > first post. there isn't a lot of effort that needs to be put into creating a new forum topic. and it's a great way for people from all over to become friends a lot faster. but like you said, to each their own. :thumb:

i'd also like to see alot of the dead threads eliminated! the forum is kinda cluttered. if something doesn't have a response and is over 6 months old, it should be deleted. IMO
By cjw_89
#246935 i would like to do my part by post whoring your site on my back(t shirts) and my ride. I want some t's and some stickers who do i message ? :? Shipping to newfoundland canada..

Another idea would be to upgrade and expand your items to sell. Even if its ebay cam seals with civic eg logos on them.

This is a great site.Teal-dx! Is it possible to get a sponsorship from a company,say if we were referred to thier item by the site and get a small discount.Something like that?What ever it is.I never miss a day when it comes to checking out this site!
By ogxandrew
cjw_89 wrote:i would like to do my part by post whoring your site on my back(t shirts) and my ride. I want some t's and some stickers who do i message ? :? Shipping to newfoundland canada..

Another idea would be to upgrade and expand your items to sell. Even if its ebay cam seals with civic eg logos on them.

This is a great site.Teal-dx! Is it possible to get a sponsorship from a company,say if we were referred to thier item by the site and get a small discount.Something like that?What ever it is.I never miss a day when it comes to checking out this site!

the only thing with sponsorships is running into a situation like HT.. they are almost too "corperate" for my liking. Civic-EG reminds me of a "mom and pop" store where as HT is like Walmart.
By teal_dx

I'll be on the lookout for a good one for you :wink:

i'd also like to see alot of the dead threads eliminated! the forum is kinda cluttered. if something doesn't have a response and is over 6 months old, it should be deleted.

We can't do this because there are good informative (or classic) threads that have not been posted in for a while but if these were deleted, they would not be searchable and the site would lose good tech info. Threads are bumped back up to the top automatically when a new post is added, so newer threads will always be viewed first. :thumb:

i would like to do my part by post whoring your site on my back(t shirts) and my ride. I want some t's and some stickers who do i message ? Confused Shipping to newfoundland canada..

Look in the top menu, under "Misc" and then click on "Shop". All the site merchandise in in there :thumb:

As for branding our own parts, that can get pricey, especially if it is good quality parts. That's probably not something that we would be able to do in the foreseeable future. Who knows about years down the road though...

This is a great site.Teal-dx! Is it possible to get a sponsorship from a company,say if we were referred to thier item by the site and get a small discount.Something like that?What ever it is.

This really depends on if the vendor wants to give an additional discount. Often their prices are already pretty competitive... but I agree it would be nice to have this. Maybe when we have a larger market wit more members buying from vendors, they can set something up. I do hope that when we have more members, I will be able to set up a group buy with some manufacturers!

the only thing with sponsorships is running into a situation like HT.. they are almost too "corperate" for my liking. Civic-EG reminds me of a "mom and pop" store where as HT is like Walmart.

I plan on keeping it that way, even as we continue to grow :thumb:
By ogxandrew
#247095 My bad about the deletion thing, I meant threads no has posted on for 6 months with the OT being the only post inside.

For example:
Title - WHAT DOES DOHC MEAN?
----------------
Subject - just like the post says.

And no one responds to it because you can search it or whatever the situation may be. IMO most threads are posted on if they are worthy of a post. But maybe that's just me?
By cjw_89
#247115 to bad there wasnt a way of getting your label laser etched into some cheap no name brand parts. The only thing really that makes blox cam seals different from say skunk 2 is pretty much the label on it.... You get my drift right? I want a civic eg sticker though :D
By ogxandrew
cjw_89 wrote:to bad there wasnt a way of getting your label laser etched into some cheap no name brand parts. The only thing really that makes blox cam seals different from say skunk 2 is pretty much the label on it.... You get my drift right? I want a civic eg sticker though :D

i'd like a die cut without civic. just the Civic-EG.com with a white box around it.

oh and i'd totally be down if there was a friends system incorporated with the profiles. i think if c-eg was turned into facebook meets an automotive forum, that'd be dope!