Relating to the site
By chrono404
teal_dx wrote:Well it looks like we have some interest... Anybody know how to build/test apps? :?

http://www.talkandroid.com/google-andro ... ion-guide/

Looks like we would need to program in Java. It would be cool to have a Civic-eg app out there. but I really dont see a need. All smartphone OS's i have played with, Black Berry, iOS(iphones,ipads), Webos(Palm), and Android have all had good web browsers that had Civic-Eg show up like a pc webpage.

I cant think of anything you would want the app to do since the Site handles everything so good as is.
By jrhdominos
#216766 Chrono I agree with you that the web browsing on the new smartphones is actually pretty bomb ass...but an app, again would aid in the conveinence of it all...I don't think it would be a COMPLETE waste of time....Hell I think it would be profitable actually...and definately think it would be a worthwile app...also like I said u wouldn't have to change the layout of the webpage, just make it into an app.
[/quote]
By RPGonzos_EJ
#216801 iPhone apps can be a pain to build, they code in Objective-C ... which IMO sucks, lots of custom compiling to get libraries and classes that you want/need (last time i played with it) ... that or you can use their SDK which costs i think about $100 bucks to be legit. I have never looked at coding for a droid app but Java is not the hardest language to learn but its not the easiest either.

Personally i build websites for personal and business use and the most convenient thing you can do without creating a app is just make a mobile version of the site.

Its the least amount of money up front and makes for a faster, easier interface via the mobile device. That and you don't have any kind of prejudice against people without the smart phones capable of using the apps.

If your worried about uploading photos, i believe photo-bucket has a mobile version live now, which you can upload from your mobile phone.

Than use the linking as normal.

This is just my opinion and how i have personally dealt with it. :thumb:
By butta75
#216810 Plus a mobile version of the site would be universal, and could be easily accessible by those without smartphones.
By EJ1-danny
#216813 I already have a civic-eg icon that leads me straight to the site similar to a bookmark
By {ikon}EM1
Chance wrote:
Method wrote:what would be the purpose of the app?

Yeah, what would be the purpose..?
Why not just have internet access on your phone and go onto civic-eg???

TrailerTrash wrote:i think it would cost alot more to create the app then it would make.

and why not just put civic-eg in your bookmarks?

I actually have my droid's internet homepage set on civic-eg.com....
I don't even have a computer @ home... I do everything through my droid