Anything & Everything Off-Topic (Some material may be offensive)
By teal_dx
#341492 You Can Now Do Almost Everything in this Ad With Your Phone

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/steve-cic ... 12973.html

From the author:
So here's the list of what I've replaced with my iPhone.
  • All weather personal stereo, $11.88. I now use my iPhone with an Otter Box.
  • AM/FM clock radio, $13.88. iPhone.
  • In-Ear Stereo Phones, $7.88. Came with iPhone.
  • Microthin calculator, $4.88. Swipe up on iPhone.
  • Tandy 1000 TL/3, $1599. I actually owned a Tandy 1000, and I used it for games and word processing. I now do most of both of those things on my phone.
  • VHS Camcorder, $799. iPhone.
  • Mobile Cellular Telephone, $199. Obvs.
  • Mobile CB, $49.95. Ad says "You'll never drive 'alone' again!" iPhone.
  • 20-Memory Speed-Dial phone, $29.95.
  • Deluxe Portable CD Player, $159.95. 80 minutes of music, or 80 hours of music? iPhone.
  • 10-Channel Desktop Scanner, $99.55. I still have a scanner, but I have a scanner app, too. iPhone.
  • Easiest-to-Use Phone Answerer, $49.95. iPhone voicemail.
  • Handheld Cassette Tape Recorder, $29.95. I use the Voice Memo app almost daily.
  • BONUS REPLACEMENT: It's not an item for sale, but at the bottom of the ad, you're instructed to 'check your phone book for the Radio Shack Store nearest you.' Do you even know how to use a phone book?

You'd have spent $3,054.82 in 1991 to buy all the stuff in this ad that you can now do with your phone. That amount is roughly equivalent to about $5,100 in 2012 dollars.

The only two items on the page that my phone really can't replace:
  • Tiny Dual-Superhet Radar Detector, $79.95. But when is the last time you heard the term "fuzzbuster" anyway?
    3-Way speaker with massive 15" Woofer, $149.95.
  • It's nothing new, but it's a great example of the technology of only two decades ago now replaced by the 3.95 ounce bundle of plastic, glass, and processors in our pockets.

Technology is crazy, huh?

Cross off Radar Detector from the list, too. Since I downloaded the Waze app, I know where the cops are (along with traffic, objects in the road, vehicles on the shoulder) long before I can see them.