Anything & Everything Off-Topic (Some material may be offensive)
By teal_dx
#341228 First Google forced youtube accounts to merge with Google+, now they're dong the same with Gmail...

http://www.dailytech.com/Google+Invades ... e34103.htm

Google is integrating Google+ into Gmail so that users of the social network can email you, even if they're complete strangers that don't have your email address

Email usually feels like a private place on the Web (for the most part). It's not like Facebook, where anyone in the world can easily find you by name and try to contact you. In other words, you'd expect to find a message from an old acquaintance on Facebook, but not in your private email if you've never exchanged addresses -- until now.

According to the Gmail Blog, Google is integrating Google+ into Gmail so that users of the social network can email you, even if they're complete strangers that don't have your email address.

Gmail users will see a new setting called "Email via Google+" in the coming days, although Google said it wouldn’t be functional right away. When the feature is turned on, Google will email users to let them know it's active.

The feature doesn't reveal your email address to the other Google+ user that decided to contact you, and you also won't receive Google+ mail in your "Primary" inbox, but rather the "Social" tab.

If you're not interested in taking part, users can opt out by selecting the "no one" option for the feature's settings.

Google is clearly determined to make Google+ a service people actually use, as the social network has been pretty quiet since its summer 2011 release.

Google Executive Chairman Eric Schmidt made his 2014 predictions for Bloomberg TV recently, and he said his biggest mistake was missing the train when it came to social networking, but added that that won't be the case in 2014.

"The biggest mistake that I made was not anticipating the rise of the social networking phenomenon," said Schmidt. "Not a mistake we’re going to make again. I guess in our defense we were busy working on many other things, but we should have been in that area and I take responsibility for that."
By evil-G-nius
#341402 this is why the only gmail I have is attached to my phone. I never use it, but it was necessary with an android. THis is also why I am not on plus, facebook, myspace, instagram, twitter...none of that shit :thumbdown:
By Leppy
#341406 I was actually able to kill the forced Google+ account, separating my gmail accounts individually and keeping my youtube account separate. If you hunt, there is an option to delete Google+ and maintain all other accounts separately. So far no problems. I've also maintained a Talk account without having to upgrade to Hangouts.
By rustyrex
#341424 This is the main reason I created a separate gmail account to use for my phone. I have a "professional" one for my employer, and the one I use for YouTube or when I and just cruising to forums on my phone.