Anything & Everything Off-Topic (Some material may be offensive)
By teal_dx
#339857 My garage faces west and the cold Ohio wind was always blowing in around the garage doors. Even on a non-windy day, I could still feel cold air when I put my hand by the edge of the door. There's no doubt that I was losing $$ on heating.

I looked online and saw those expensive brush door seal kits. I thought about hanging moving blankets over the edges. Then I figured out an easy & free way to keep the doors pressed tightly against the outer rubber seals.

By removing the screws from the bottom roller, I was able to flip it up within the door track, pushing the door a little further forward to make a tight seal. No more wind! The heat kicks on noticeably less now. I put the screws back in for spring/summer/fall.

Here's a short how-to video I made, showing what I described above:
http://youtu.be/YSFrv5jS6_s

If I have to open the door (not often in winter), it only takes a few seconds to flip the rollers back up. They unflip on their own as the door opens.

Hopefully this trick will help keep some of you warm while working on winter projects :thumb:
Last edited by teal_dx on Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Apexracing
#339860 I thought about just putting rubber or foam weather strip up, because i have only the one door. But my roof needs insulating any ways haha
By rustyrex
#339874 I just looked at my garage door. My hinges are not like that. I have some thick rubber water dam style seals from when I did construction. It's made for a shower pan so a wheel chair can ro over it but pop back up to hold the water in. Works great.