Anything & Everything Off-Topic (Some material may be offensive)
By teal_dx
#336600 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAhFuTZwGUg

I kind of wonder why this hasn't happened already... it seems so simple.
By nd1983
#336611 yes and no.

yes it could and would work if there was a manufacturer that would make all the parts the same, just like the video.

no it won't work because it would defeat the purpose of having serval different phone manufacturers. unless 1 company bought several smaller companies and converted them all to this style.
By JohnRM
#336612 ^ It'll work to be its own company, just like any other manufacturer. It defeat the reason for this phone, but I assume that's what would happen
By nicksdelslow
#336648 Would be a great idea and has been applied to many other matters. But all the companies producing these products make their money by ur phone being outdated. They count on u buying tech that will not last to keep their companies alive.
By TrailerTrash
#336651 neat idea but im with everyone above.

on a side note all i could think about was dropping it and it flying apart like a phone made of Lego blocks :lol:
By chrono404
#336953 its a cool idea. however building it to be expandable the way show in the end of video would be pretty hard to implement. I guess you could make new skins so it looks different every few years,

A Phone like this makes no sense in our current economic world. while it would be cool our current economic world wont let it happen as it ruins the replace your phone every 2 year model. becouse of this, this phone will never leave concept step. Its to big of a threat to a multi million dollar business and it would be bought up and killed way before its time.

Its a shame and I would love to see it made, However I know that it wont be sadly. Its the same reason that venus citys wont be put out, to much money to be made by not doing it this way.
By Virux
#338451 I wonder why it hasn't happened already too. I've been waiting for a dynamic hardware device for a while now. They took it a step further making it easy though, designing it with swapability in mind.

Yeah, there's some technical challenges but overall I don't see anything fatally wrong with it, similar to PC components vs. Mac integration. I just hope they create a boss driver and compatibility management system. A phone is just the beginning, this could be a platform for any device really. You could use the Phoneblok hardware to create completely different tools.

Really, for me, it just seems like a Lego-ized version of Arduino that will hopefully be controlled by Android. I would have lots of fun, and I wouldn't even consider it a phone at all. Average phone people who don't care now will start to care when developers do. Follow the developers..

Only thing I don't like so far is the name. :eh: