Anything & Everything Off-Topic (Some material may be offensive)
By FG2_Andrew
#323847 i cannot wait to OWN my own place. every time i look at this thread, i get :sadface:

thanks teal.
By brandoff88
#323862 hahah andy, everytime i look at this thread i get a boner, thats like pretty much the way i want my garage set up but with a pit and a big lift...that would be my only additions to this one. :twisted: :thumb:
By Fada Blayne
#324722 Teal i must commend you, your garage is coming along so nicely. Kudo's

I must visit if/when I come for the ITR Expo this year! :thumb:
By teal_dx

i cannot wait to OWN my own place. every time i look at this thread, i get :sadface:

Most of you guys are nowhere near your mid-30's like I am... Years of working hard, smart & being a cheap-ass is how I got this place. Getting to know the local amish helped too... If I went with a traditional garage built by a general contractor, it would probably be half of this size. I saved up for a while and then pretty much stopped buying everything I possibly could for a year or so. Didn't buy any clothes/shoes (asked for those as xmas/bday gifts), civic build was on hold, rarely went out to eat, learned how to do all kinds of home repairs etc myself, quit going to the bar and the beer I drank at home was usually Busch/Blatz or something else crappy - I found myself to drink less of the crappy stuff.

Then I took it slow and added a little bit to the garage each following year (ceiling, lighting, insulation, heat, floor coating, concrete apron.) Taking time always means you'll find a better deal.
:thumb:

Fada Blayne wrote:Teal i must commend you, your garage is coming along so nicely. Kudo's

I must visit if/when I come for the ITR Expo this year! :thumb:

I'm 1 hr north east from Mid-Ohio. LMK when you're in town!

That goes for any of you guys
:thumb:
By teal_dx
#324895 Here's some of the things we wrench on in the garage... (in addition to all the toyota trucks on the last page back)

Helped a friend flip a TT he got a deal on

obviously :D

then there was the Zombie Accord... http://civic-eg.com/viewtopic.php?t=24907

friend's Suzuki Sidekick: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmqNQimS8xw

a friend's E39 (I love this car and want an excuse to own an E39 Touring wagon one day)

Dirty Birdy aka Thunder Turd - 88 T-bird Turbo Coupe sleeper with a t3/t4 turbo and plenty of flaking clear coat & rust.

I'd love to find a way to make a living doing this stuff... wrenchin' with friends and building cool and/or ghetto shit :thumb:

edit: oh there was the Dodge Dakota which really turned into more of a day of drinking and pranking our friend with temporary spray paint on his truck: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_I0gKq3leno
By bks84
#324914 your shop is the inspiration for mine!

i do wish mine was a traditional studded building, cuz insulationg and finishing the walls on my type of building will be a lot harder.

its 30x40 w/6" concrete floors. 3 220v outlets and 12x4 110's.
By hondamonstercrew
#324927 looks cool though man . im trying to get my own garage toghether at the moment costly but a cant wait
By teal_dx
#326711 bks84, I think those steel beams will look cool & industrial once you get the walls done.

I did some work on the bar recently...

Many people would put a bar in their basement, but our basement has already been finished. That's why the pool table is in the pole barn, so it makes since to build a bar next to it in "man corner".
I don't have any pics of the construction, as I was in a hurry to build it for a party last year. I had a lot of scrap wood, although nothing for a nice finished bar top at the time.

First I glued 3/4" plywood to the flimsy 7/16" osb that was serving as a temporary top.

That's a 6' piece of plexi leaning against the fridge. The idea was to put the plexi over the urethane coated plywood, then a darker contrasting wood on both ides. (6' is the longest sheet of plexiglass, bar is 9' long - to give 3 people plenty of elbow room)
The dark wood would be 1/8" thick to sit flush with the plexiglass.

I didn't get any pics of the rest of the construction... but here is the final product. We also put a chair rail trim around the perimeter.

Testing it out right after completion:

Since I'm a photographer, the idea behind the plexiglass is that I can put some of my pics under it:

I put it on locking casters because I want to keep it mobile, in case I ever need to stuff another project in here.

I kept the back open for storage and NES :D

I didn't want to have a huge space behind the bar and I didn't want to have the bar area extend too far out into the rest of the shop. So I built the bar to 'slide' over the corner of the counter.

When/if I need the space, I can rotate it 90° and push it up to the wall.

Eventually, I'm going to put metal on the face and nicer wood trim on the bottom boards.
By MG6
#326755 Nice!

now bolt or weld the stools and put a small motor on the bar table for some crazy bar 1/4 mile. :thumb:
By HagerSol
#326803 Man, you are truly an inspiration. This sorta stuff makes me so happy I'm going back to school. Hard work and persistence are definitely the catalyst for happiness, and this is a testament to that! Work hard to Play hard!
By teal_dx
#344314 I had some comments on some of my youtube videos where viewers wanted to know more about the garage, so I made a video tour:

Part 1 http://youtu.be/TqCT-Dy6UyM

Part 2 http://youtu.be/9jlS360Jg9o