For Sale & Want to Buy
By teal_dx
#228988 I purchased this car in summer of 2005. It had been somewhat neglected and needed some work. The head gasket was leaking which was causing the car to lose coolant and also the CVT transmission was slipping badly. (This was the first year Honda offered a CVT transmission and the 96-00 CVT's in civics are known to fail at 100k mi.) Because of this, it was starting to be parted out. The airbags were already sold as well as some other misc pieces from the interior, as well as the spoiler. I decided to purchase the car and bring it back since I had the time and knowledge to work on it.

Let's get THE BAD out of the way (list looks long because I go into detail):
- Title is clean but mileage is inaccurate. When I purchased the car, odo said 104k mi (has 167k now) Title said 240k. The person I bought the car from said there was an error in the mileage on the title and it was a hassle to get it corrected. I asked how to get it changed when I put the title in my name at the DMV, and they said it involved filing a lot of forms & paperwork so I never bothered.
- Power Steering Pump is missing pulley so steering is manual. Is harder to turn steering wheel when car is not moving.
- Driver side body damaged behind driver's door from a minor fender bender. I already have OEM sheet metal to replace damaged area for someone who can do the bodywork.
- Once that area is fixed, the whole car could use a paint job as the OEM black paint has lost some of its shine and body has fair share of chips/scratches and a few dings. Also hood has some rock chips that have started to rust.
- Passenger Side window does not roll down well in the cold weather (track needs lubed and/or adjusted)
- Car does not have a passenger side airbag, only a new cover.
- Sunroof motor does not work, must be cranked open manually
- handle for hood release broken (as many older civics are) pliers included to grab hood cable where the handle used to be.
- Has Check Engine Light on due to the fact that the ECU in the car is looking for the sensors on the CVT transmission and the car now has a manual transmission. (has been this way for a few years - does not affect engine performance or economy at all) For Echeck, I called the headquarters and explained the details of the transmission conversion and why the CEL is on and they called my local echeck station and told them I would be coming in and to test the car on the rollers as the pre-1996 OBD1 cars are tested. It has passed every time on the first try. If you register the car in a non e-check county then you can forget about the above.
- has a minor oil leak from the back of the valve cover gasket or the vtec solenoid. I put about a quart of oil in between oil changes. It has been this way for about 1 year.

THE GOOD:
- Does not have any of the typical "honda rust" around the rear wheel openings
- very well maintained
- excellent MPG. highest ever was 46 mpg, normal is 40. (This is with the short geared Civic EX transmission. With the longer geared HX manual transmission, this car will be closer to 44 mpg average. Some HX owners have swapped in the very long geared manual transmission from a Civic VX or CX and got 50 MPG. I was only able to find an EX transmission at the time, so the MPG is slightly less but the acceleration is better with the shorter gearing.)
- Remote Start
- Keyless Entry
- Power Windows
- Power Locks
- Power Mirrors
- OEM Tachometer
- OEM Spoiler with 3rd Brake Light
- Sunroof
- Aiwa CD player with aux input
- Gunmetal housing headlights that I just polished since the pics so the lenses are clear again.

HISTORY & MAINTENANCE DONE:

Fall 2005:
New OEM Headgasket
New OEM timing Belt
New OEM water pump
New OEM oxygen sensor
New OEM exhaust Manifold & Catalytic converter
New OEM EGR Valve

2006:
Replaced Driver Side Power Window motor & regulator

2007:
converted car from auto (CVT) to manual transmission from a Civic EX. (Shifts smooth and no grinds)
Also added OEM shifter, boot, linkage, motor mounts, misc bolts etc. needed for manual transmission conversion. (Have pictures to document entire process)
New OEM Clutch, resurfaced OEM flywheel
New OEM Throwout Bearing & Pilot Bearing
Replaced worn OEM sway bar endlinks with new Energy Suspension endlinks

2008:
Stainless axle back/muffler

Jan 2010:
New OEM Cap & Rotor
New OEM Spark Plug wires
New OEM NGK spark Plugs
New OEM Valve Cover Gasket

Summer 2010:
Passenger Side inner & outer tie rod endlink replaced.
New Brake Pads & Rotors

November 2010:
replaced Clutch Master Cyl with OEM.

New rear tires (Goodyear)
Front tires still have good tread (Falken Ziex 512).

Car looks like crap right now covered in salt but here are some pics I had on my comp until I can get some new ones up:

a few years back. HX rims are not included with the car, comes w/ steelies & wheel covers. Really looks better here than it does in real life.

what it looks like right about now

another dirty winter pic

another filthy pic

the damaged area behind the door.

I cut a piece to fit this from a donor car, it will be included in the sale.

I have been driving the car about 400 mi/wk for about 2.5 yrs now and love the mpg. Selling because I'm always having to borrow a truck to haul stuff and got a deal on a toyota pickup. This car has pretty much paid for itself in gas.

$1200 OR BEST OFFER

Located in Spencer OH (25 min west of Medina) or can be seen in Akron most weekdays
By butta75
#228998 Good luck with sale. Bump