Civics don't really drift- but if you want to talk Drifting, here's the place
By teal_dx
#36014 I know it started in japan, but it is everywhere now. How come you don't see more muscle cars or mustangs & camaros drifting? I know there's the Mopar vipers and the Falken mustang out there, but there's a lot of RWD vehicles in the US. Is it something to do with most of our RWD cars having a solid axle = maybe more difficult to control? :?

It seems like all the american muscle cars on youtube videos are doing the old donut spins.
By LowTEC-Derbo
#36029 its probably because they grew up with the set mind of drag racing rather than drifting.

Circuit racing and Drifting will be a bigger percentage soon hopefully. That way instead of 100 bucks to go circuit racing, we can do it for 20bucks just like those drag racers.
By Macca
#36042 Americans just care about going fast :D
By ohDirka
Macca wrote:Americans just care about going fast :D

not around a lot of corners at least. Straight line or going around in circles (NASCAR) I would love to go to a circuit track and race around but I'm not going to pay what they want just so I can go fast Legally
By hondajunkee
#36108 i dont believe drifting started in japan, in my opinion it started here, well at least in the south. ever watch The Dukes of Hazzard? or been to a dirt circle track race? my grandpa has pictures of old dirt racers from the 50's and 60's getting sideways in the corners, plus didnt any one watch "Cars" thats what the old car was talking about, turning left to go right, people have been doing it here for decades
By vtec_gloucester
#36112 ^^^ but that sounds like they are still racing for first, second, third place... dirfting doesnt have that. dirfting is about the control of going round a corner side ways.

imo its gotta be what teal said about the solid axle.

oh, and that vid with the dude hitting himself. what a fucking idiot. id love to give him a smack with that shuffle.
By LowTEC-Derbo
hondajunkee wrote:i dont believe drifting started in japan, in my opinion it started here, well at least in the south. ever watch The Dukes of Hazzard? or been to a dirt circle track race? my grandpa has pictures of old dirt racers from the 50's and 60's getting sideways in the corners, plus didnt any one watch "Cars" thats what the old car was talking about, turning left to go right, people have been doing it here for decades

powersliding is not new to cars. its been done around the world for decades.

excerpt on wikipedia on drifting history.

Modern drifting started out as a racing technique popular in the All Japan Touring Car Championship races over 30 years ago. Motorcycling legend turned driver, Kunimitsu Takahashi, was the foremost creator of drifting techniques in the 1970s. He was famous for hitting the apex (the point where the car is closest to the inside of a turn) at high speed and then drifting through the corner, preserving a high exit speed. This earned him several championships and a legion of fans who enjoyed the spectacle of burning tires. The bias ply racing tires of the 1960s-1980s lent themselves to driving styles with a high slip angle. As professional racers in Japan drove this way, so did the street racers.A street racer named Keiichi Tsuchiya became particularly interested by Takahashi's drift techniques. Tsuchiya began practicing his drifting skills on the mountain roads of Japan, and quickly gained a reputation amongst the racing crowd. In 1977, several popular car magazines and tuning garages agreed to produce a video of Tsuchiya's drifting skills. The video, known as Pluspy, became a hit and inspired many of the professional drifting drivers on the circuits today. In 1988, alongside Option magazine founder and chief editor Daijiro Inada, he would help to organize one of the first events specifically for drifting. He also drifted every turn in Tsukuba Circuit in Japan.
By asianrob
#36144 Rhy millins (spelling?) has a GTO/Holden does that count as american lol
By colpitts
#91870 he is now driving the red bull solstice isn't he?

either way that solstice is DISGUSTINGly AWESOME!! 260hp and 400 ft/lbs of torque!? unreal!
By SOHCivegra
Macca wrote:Americans just care about going fast :D

What about us auto crossers here? Take alot more control that you think. Its not drifting by any means, but you still have to be just as skilled going through a chicane trying to steer, accelerate and brake at the same points.
By Classiccarsrule85
#91941 well A) american cars in my perspective really are well shit....mainly all but the big three mustang, viper/vette, and probaly the new camaro i think or was that a challenger.....anyhow have enough hp to powerslide and how rwd most of the american rwd cars where made in the early 90's on down and now they have mainly been all converted to fwd and auto another reason probaly we dont liek american cars at least thats one of mine....

Anyhow the way an american car is built is just kinda crappy they dont last near as long as they should their fitment on peices are borderline scary exspecially if that peice where to go flying at you.

And another reason people dont use american cars....

They are big and heavy and truely not very well proven to be the best drift cars while a car as the ae86 toyota corolla is a well proven drifting car and allows you to make mistakes but still be able to control it.....driving lets say for instance a mustang you tap the gas too much your rear end is going out from under you....

I mean yea we do win some drifting events in american cars but it takes seat time and a good head on your shoulder to control something like that but truely your never in control.
By Heatherly
#91962 It's not true that it's just about getting first, second, third and so forth. Because even drifting has become a competition. Everyone wants to be the best, you can't say that people drift just for the fun of it, they would compete if they were talented enough. That's just my opinion though, but from someone that actually goes to Formula D, I can't see drifting as something that isn't done for a place.