By Heatherly
hondajunkee wrote:I still say the Duke boys invented drifting :lol:

:mrgreen: :werd:
By VegasCivic
blockustomz wrote:they brake.. lol

break? :lol:

+1 for the Duke boys! :thumb:
By kapow
#217481 Probably because american cars don't have a stiffer chassis then jap cars. We also wonder here why they don't drift australian cars too e.g Holden Commodore, Ford Falcon
By Carfanatic
#217482 Americans cant do corners :eh: Even in drifting.... The muscle cars just stop when they see a corner.. haha

I mean, c'mon.. Those are not cars, they are like TANKS! :roll:
By kaiba
#217505 Drifting originated from Rally. Beside drifting is just like Ballerina.
By RPGonzos_EJ
#217512 Lol my DD at the moment is a 2001 Mustang GT.

Got a bunch of bolt ons so its sounds good and has some ass under it. But i can tell you the car senses a corner coming in a hurry.

Without the whole chassis being stiffened, slightly lightened and the entire suspension being ripped out and re compiled, these cars were not exactly designed with diving into a corner at 60+ MPH and than holding a clean line going sideways.

Maybe a steady oval line for better entry and exit of the turn ok, but not sideways.

Now that being said, take the suspension out of any Mach 1 or Cobra with IRS and massage it a bit with some loving and the car would definitely be able to hold that sideways turn a little better.

Of course now your talking about having a driver accustomed to having the muscle car torque/hp response and learning the power curves and how to drift with it.

So i think its a combination of both cars and drivers that results in fewer American cars being drifted, which is steadily increasing by the way.

Growing up in a bo dunk hick town it was all about one thing ... going straight and as fast as you can! So the driver mod is completely out the window where i come from at least lol.

Just my 2 cents and opinion, good topic by the way!
By panic989
#332110 The reason you don't see any American Muscle cars drifting, or very few of them drifting, is all in the suspension. A big V-8 engine in a manual RWD car is set up to go fast in a straight line. That being said they have wide tires under their ass end for that grip off the line. The suspension is set up not to hold a corner, especially not to hold a corner sideways, but to squat. IT squats to shift the weight to the rear to give it better traction coming off the line, which in turn gives you better 1/4 mile time as we all know. The American muscle cars have squishy soft suspension to a point. If you look at a drift car and you were to push down on the trunk, or rear deck, or hatch, or what have you, you would feel that it is super stiff. Like it doesn't want to move at all. Push down on a muscle car and its soft and comfy feeling.

Drag suspension and drift suspension are set up really similar. Drag in a FWD has super stiff suspension in the rear to keep the front end planted under acceleration, and drift suspension is stiff enough to keep all 4 tires on the ground under lateral G forces (sliding sideways) but just soft enough to handle having a tire come off the side of a track without the cars weight shifting too much and losing the whole slide.

Hope this helps. If you noticed anything wrong please correct me.