1/4 mile theory & tuning
By 99cx
#191166 okay so im going up to the local track tomorrow (big event, lots of cars)
i plan on running my B18 hatch on the 1/4 mile.

just want to know how to get the best time for my car?
ive only done it once before and didnt do as good as i cold have.

im not running slicks or nothing and its just a stock B18.
so with that being said.
what is the best way to launch?
what RPM should i shift at?
anyone got suggestions?
By forcefedEG
#191173 id say shift around 6800 to 7000, launch at around 3500, and dont just dump the clutch kinda slip it a little like you would take off from a stop light... honestly your launch point will depend on the track conditions from my experience... and try keeping pressure up on the ebrake so you dont roll off the lights... hope thats some help :thumb:
By ChicagoMike
#191179 Here's my advice......

Keep your RPM's as close to redline as you possibily can, for the entire run. Dont lift off the gas on your shifts. Pedal to the f-ing floor the entire time. Push that motor to the breaking point, lol. :thumb:
By ohDirka
ChicagoMike wrote:Here's my advice......

Keep your RPM's as close to redline as you possibily can, for the entire run. Dont lift off the gas on your shifts. Pedal to the f-ing floor the entire time. Push that motor to the breaking point, lol. :thumb:

good advice :thumb: also try to be kind of relaxed while doing it. You will have a serious adrenaline rush from the time you pull into staging till the time you get back to your pit. Just try to keep for focus on what your doing. Also launch on the 2nd light for a good R/T (not the stage or pre stage light though)
By forcefedEG
D15kid wrote: also try to be kind of relaxed while doing it.

that helps alot... 8)
By 99cx
#191183 Hahhaah all good stuff! but i have to drive the car back home so i wont be going too crazy :P
i trying launching on the second light.
3500 RPM launch
and shift before red line?
what do you mean be keeping your ebrake tight or pulled?
By ohDirka
99cx wrote:what do you mean be keeping your ebrake tight or pulled?

I dont know I never used it in staging. If the track is prepared right with vht then your car kind of sticks to the track and it wont roll
By forcefedEG
D15kid wrote:I dont know I never used it in staging. If the track is prepared right with vht then your car kind of sticks to the track and it wont roll

my local tack sucks... so i hold just a little pressure on the ebrake to keep it from rolling back when im at the lights...
By GSRgoodies
#195639 leave on the light before the green because you wont hook up right away, shift as close to redline as possible without redlining, my b laggs when i take it down the strip and hit redline. thats why i got a shift light : )
By GoRide
#196013 here my 2cents... turbo the car.... :D :P
By JUICE
#196052 when i was running mine with my LS tranny w/ 9lb flywheel, i found it best to leave around 3500 rpms. it took much trial and error to figure out what was just right and would get me the best 60's.

yours will be a little different if your still rockin the stock flywheel..

like stated above, if you let it bounce the limiter, it will kill your potential ET.
and i've never had to fuck with the e-brake while staging either...

since this thread is a month old, how'd she run?