Technical Topics specific to the Hatchback body - NOT where you post pics/build specs of your car.
By Sleepy94
#6907714 I have recently acquired a 94 eg with an h22a1 blue top 5 speed swap in it. This is what I know about it.

H22a1 approximately 170k but rebuilt pulled from a 96 prelude
Skunk 2 coilovers
Bwr camber kit
15" Rota 5 spoke rims
Chipped p28
Slim electric fan wired to dash.
Spectre cold air intake
Skunk 2 intake manifold 70mm
Skunk 2 vavle springs
skunk 2 cams and gears
Clutch master stage 2 clutch
8lb flywheel
tri-y header 3" pipe custom straight pipe.
Skunk 2 shifter nob
Innovative mounts
map sensor (not sure the brand)
battery relocated to trunk
no power steering
custom axles
New alternator and belt
Have A/c mount plate and condenser.(not installed)
Car runs seemingly well and is pretty fast.
have fog lights not installed
Red lines at 6800 rpm

Cons:
Door locks don't work (no alarm either)
Driver door doesn't align correct with (seems like 1/4 inch low)
front seats are trash
floor counsel with shift knob in it is not attached to the floor. (need good way to attach)
Radio has power but doesn't work (not sure if speakers do either)
no a/c
no panel cover under steering wheel or fuse cover
missing some trim around car
Dent at bend in header because the guy I got it from slammed the car and has like 2 inch clearance to the ground....

Biggest problems:
Speedometer reads about 8-10 miles per hour faster then actual speed... looks like it has the D16 dash speedometers still in it.
gas tank pressure builds up (when I open gas cap there is a pretty big wsshhhhhing noise from the air escaping).

What I'd like to do-
fix gas tank pressure (not sure if its normal or not)
Add a/c
fix speedometer
get alarm?
fix stereo
Curious what parts are interchangeable or fit the 94 Eg like (seats, trim interior/exterior, mirrors, headlights, h22 dash, speakers, lock/latch assemblies)
Trying to make it more functional and reliable.

If you have any suggestions or advice it'd be much appreciated.
-Sam
By teal_dx
#6907718 Hey, welcome to the forum! Sounds you picked up a good vehicle that just needs some tlc.
The gas tank is not vented properly and I bet it is due to some emissions parts being eliminated during the engine swap. You should look to see where the return fuel likes are going. They come up along the bottom of the firewall in the engine bay. I'm guessing the previous owner eliminated the charcoal canister possibly evap valve, which means that the tank has no way to breathe?

Not sure if there's enough space to add AC on the H22a1 swap in an EG. Any swap I've ever seen in an EG didn't have AC. This could be difficult/expensive.

Speedo issue may be due to an incorrect Vehicle Speed Sensor? I'm not familiar wight he details of the H22a swap, but I don't think changing out the cluster is the answer.

An alarm isn't going to stop someone from stealing your car. If you do install an aftermarket alarm, also do kill switches. Member SuspendedHatch is our security expert and has a great writeup here:
http://www.civic-eg.com/causeforalarm/version8/

When you say the locks don't work, you mean the doors won't lock manually (like locks are stuck/jammed) or there are no power locks?

Is the radio OEM? If aftermarket, did the owner hack the wiring? Pulling the radio and checking the connections is a good start. If hooking up a speaker directly to each channel works, then you know the issue is somewhere in the car's speakers or wiring.
The 92-95 civic hatch and coupe share the same parts from the doors on forward. Doors on back are different, with the exception of suspension. Many Integra goodies such as seats, suspension/brakes also bolt up.
By Sleepy94
#6907727 Thanks for the response!

So I got a chance to work on and drive the car today I fixed the door locks they seemed to just be jammed but, the mechanism will only lock if I hold the Interior door handle in the open position which is fine for now but is weird. The door does unlock using the key from the outside.

The guy I got it from actually gave me the charcoal canister that I'm assuming he took out of the car when he did the swap. Would not having that cause pressure to build in the gas tank? I haven't had the chance to jack the car up and look at the lines but I will this weekend and I'll let you know more.

Also not sure what to do about the speedometer yet as well. Might just deal with it till I can take it to a dyno and have it re-flashed to make more power because the car red lines at 6800-7000 rpm which seems low? The car pulls pretty hard but it feels like its not consistent through shifts.

It's an aftermarket radio I pulled it out today because it had no purpose in the car. The radio nor the aux worked and the speakers did't even flinch when I tried to play music... The wiring behind it was completely messed up just open-ended wires everywhere. So, I'll spend sometime this weekend diagnosing it and seeing if I can figure out what goes to what. Take a picture and post it up on the speaker/audio thread

It seems like I'm going to break down this original post into their separate forums see if I can get some more help.

Thanks
-Sam
By undeadone069
#6907736 That's how eg Civic doors lock man :lol: there's nothing wrong with your locks you can use either interior or exterior handle whichever is more comfortable. I have a ex with electric locks so I can easily pull the interior handle and press the button with one hand. You get use to it and it becomes second nature
By TrailerTrash
undeadone069 wrote:That's how eg Civic doors lock man :lol: there's nothing wrong with your locks you can use either interior or exterior handle whichever is more comfortable. I have a ex with electric locks so I can easily pull the interior handle and press the button with one hand. You get use to it and it becomes second nature

Yeah then you try it in every other car you get out of and it never works :lol:

actually im pretty sure my 94 Subaru Legacy was the same way.

its kindof an "are you sure" before you lock the door. that way you have to do two steps and hopefully in that time you remember that you are about to lock your keys in the car lol