Technical Topics specific to the Hatchback body - NOT where you post pics/build specs of your car.
By ChickenMcFuggets
#6907706 Please help. I recently bought a '92 Civic Si. When I bought it, it would sometimes hesitate if you tried to punch it from a stop or anywhere under 3000rpm. This was fine, I figured it would be an easy fix. Then it started just cranking and cranking and wouldn't start. If you stick with it long enough and wait a while it will eventually start. We thought it was the fuel pump so I replaced that, the previous owner said he replaced the fuel filter trying to fix it. It has an aftermarket intake and exhaust (shitty ebay parts I plan on replacing). After replacing the fuel pump the problem persisted. So I checked spark, 2 of the plugs had a weak spark so I replaced all 4, it ran fine for about a day but when I tried to go to class the next morning it would just crank and not start. I got a can of throttle body cleaner and cleaned it all up and it was working fine after that, starting every time. Today, I left my house to go to the store and about 2 miles down the road it backfired really loud and stalled. It wouldn't start up immediately after but I gave it a minute and it fired up and I drove it home. There was no smoke or anything, just a single backfire and then the engine died. I checked the codes and got:
3 (MAP sensor)
9 (No. 1 Cylinder position sensor)
16 (fuel injector)
41 (Heated oxygen sensor heater)
43 (Fuel supply system)
Which of those is likely to cause the symptoms I'm having? I assume the fuel injector one, how much is it to replace fuel injectors? Why am I getting code 43 (fuel supply system)? I just replaced the fuel pump, where else should I check for problems in the fuel supply system? Any help would be appreciated!
By teal_dx
#6907709 Welcome to the forum! Wow sorry to hear about all the problems you're having with your car...
Before you drive it, I would replace the o2 sensor first. A bad o2 sensor will often tell the ecu to dome too much fuel to dump too much fuel into the cylinder, which may have to do with the symptoms you're experiencing. The Cylinder Position Sensor helps the ecu determine the ignition timing, so that would explain the car not starting and probably the backfire as well. I don't know if just the sensor can be purchased, or if the whole distributor will need replaced. The map sensor is an easy replacement. Used injectors can be found cheap, just be sure the seller is legit and can verify it is good. If the car already has a fresh fuel pump and fuel filter, then I think the code 43 might be related to any of the other current issues and might go away once those are fixed.
Keep us updated!