Technical Topics specific to the Hatchback body - NOT where you post pics/build specs of your car.
By Tee
#75359 How does the weatherstrip on the roof come off? i had a gentle go priseing it off but gave up as it got scary!!

sso does it slide off? clip off?

Thanks, im trying to trace a leak rear drivers side, it makes the seatbelt wet and drips into the boot

T
By teal_dx
#75372 the 2 long black strips on the roof? They slide forward toward the windshield. you need to pull off the windshield trim to be able to slide the roof trim forward. :thumb:
By Tee
#75402 yep those are the ones...

oh boy it sounds involved! is the screen trim hard to take off? or is it a special job?

this leak is quite bad, the seatbelt gets soaked

whats under the weatherstrip? is it a seam or join?
By teal_dx
Tee wrote:yep those are the ones...

oh boy it sounds involved! is the screen trim hard to take off? or is it a special job?

this leak is quite bad, the seatbelt gets soaked

whats under the weatherstrip? is it a seam or join?

the windshield (screen?) trim is held on by replacable plastic clips that usually break when you take the trim off.

Under the roof piece it is 2 body panels joined together with spot welds, then covered with seam filler & painted. Hope you don't find any rust under there :( I didn't even have a leak and I had a little rust
By Tee
#75488 Thank you, I guess I have to be brave and start pulling it off... :(
By suspendedHatch
#75767 Mine came out quite easily w/out messing with the windshield trim. Actually this is the second hatch I've popped it off come to think of it. I use a plastic panel removal tool. I have a good feel for how hard you can pry something w/out breaking the tabs underneath. I suggest practicing on a junkyard car first and getting some extra tabs while you're at it.
By Tee
#77797 Righto, i got it off (slid it to the front of the car, peeling back a tiny bit of windscreen rubber)

Thanks guys,

Well its not leaking from under there, however i DID find the leak! its the sunroof! I would never have guessed, its the back of the sunroof not sealing properly!

Thanks for the assitance

T
By Tee
#82559 ###update!###

After a whole tube of silicon on the sunroof, the leak has gotten smaller, however it still is leaking... the search continues
By goblin
#358253 Just recently i found my seat belt driver side (RHD) wet after heavy rain. Hope this is the case.. Will try to figure out to diy this my self
By suspendedHatch
#358322 If your door isn't aligned properly, water can get around the seal in that area. Also, the rubber gasket tends to be ripped there from people prying on the door.
By DooDooBrownHatch
#359094 Have you blown out the sunroof drain tubes? They get clogged often and then the result ends up being water where it's not designed to be. Start there and then sit in the car while someone puts a hose on the car and search for leaks. Hope this helps!!
By goblin
#359177 i dont have a sun roof, but thanks for the advice.