Technical Topics specific to the Hatchback body - NOT where you post pics/build specs of your car.
By suspendedHatch
#61050 This is probably too simple to really need a write-up, and there's probably a write-up for it somewhere on the net already, but I figured it's worthwhile to show people how to do it the right way. I did my best to make it easy.

Integras and Civic Si's have a trunk light that comes on automatically when you pop the rear glass. All the other Civic hatchbacks have a pop-out panel where the light should be so there's no reason why you can't just drop one in there. It's something I did to my hatch within days of purchasing it. I put one on my previous hatch. The only obstacle for most people is that they are not comfortable with wiring. If you fall into that category then this is a good first project.

http://www.civic-eg.com/causeforalarm/t ... /index.php
Last edited by suspendedHatch on Mon May 21, 2012 4:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
By suspendedHatch
#61052 Image

Parts and Supplies

* trunk light holder and bulb from an Integra*
* 18 gauge female quick disconnect or option plug**
* 18 gauge wire
* 18 gauge inline fuse holder
* 10A blade fuse
* .032 solder or butt connectors
* electric tape

*You can get the light from a 90-01 Acura Integra and some other model Hondas.

**A fuse box option connector can be found in the driver's door on 92-95 Civics and 94+ Integras that have power door locks. I've also found them near the AC on 94+ Integras. If you can't find this plug connector you can use an 18 gauge female quick disconnect aka speaker connector.

Tools

* 100-150 Watt Solder Gun
* Channel Lock 909 Crimp Tool
* Panel Popper
* Pick Tool
* #2 Phillips Screwdriver
* 10mm Socket, Ratchet, and short extension
* Razor Blade
* Reach Tool
* Multimeter*

*Decent multimeters with the continuity tone can be found at Sears for $15. You need this to verify that you have the right wire for the trunk trigger. Optionally you could follow the wire from where it is connected to the latch.

Get the panel popper under the driver's side running board and carefully pry against the clips. If the clips stay in the chassis you have to extract them with a pick tool and put them back on the plastic cover.

Beneath the carpet are two wire cases. Cut the electric tape and then pry them open with the pop tool.

Remove the rear seat bottom. There is a 10mm bolt between the center seat belts. Lift the back of the seat bottom up and then swing it toward the front of the car so you can remove the two hooks.

Connect the inline fuse holder to the far left option plug connector. Leave the fuse out for now. Connect the 18 gauge wire to the other end of the fuse holder and begin running it down behind the kick panel, down the running board inside the wire cases and under the rear quarter panel plastic.

Pop off the rear speaker grill (or delete panel) and stick your reach tool in the cavity so you can pull the wire up out of the hole. We're doing this to avoid having to remove the entire panel.

Use the reach tool again to pull the wire through the light cavity. Connect this to one of the inputs on the light housing. The newer lights have a two pin plug connector. The older lights have two prongs. Polarity is not important, but for the record, white/red is power and green/black is ground.

Pop out the tail light access cover so you can run the wire over to the light.

This is where you can tap into the green/black (solid color/stripe color) trunk trigger wire. This wire is what controls the light with the opening and closing of the hatch glass. Optionally you could simply ground the other light wire and control the light manually with the switch, but I think that is a cop-out.

To verify that you have the right wire (sometimes there are multiple green/black wires), touch one of the meters probes to the bare wire, ground the other wire, and set the meter to continuity. The reading should go from 1 to 0 and the meter should make a tone. Close the hatch and the meter will read 1 and the tone will go out.

Now that you have the correct wire, connect it to the light housing. Then put the fuse in the fuse holder and test the light before snapping it into place.
Last edited by suspendedHatch on Mon May 21, 2012 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
By RAKUN
#61072 i thought that all hatchs come with that light, i have a Si
By tailz
#61073 I seen this light in my buddy's "DA" and i wanted to see if it fit my hatch and it did so went to scrap yard and picked one up lol..
Only if i seen this thread earlier lol
By CivicTypeR
#61077 Don't you guys have this light? :?
By id3379
#61138 my vx doesnt have this light, thanks for the write up :thumb:
By suspendedHatch
#61181 Yes, the DA light fits perfectly. It has two prongs instead of a two pin plug connector.

Only Si's came with the light. VX, CX, DX came without the light and surprisingly the wire is missing in the rear quarter panel loom. Usually Honda uses the same harnesses across all trims making swaps like this plug n play. Slip, your sig is hot.

Glad you like it. I thought I might get ripped on for such a simple DIY. I guess I forgot where I was.
By Greasedmonkey
#61194 Stuff like this is helpful to a lot of people. LIke you said, if you dont have an Si, you dont get this light. who knows who would like to have this light. Me personally, I have two Si hatches and dont like the light. does me NO good at all. I just leave it turned off.
By suspendedHatch
#61210 You never try to look for something in the hatch at night? I'm somewhat of a night person so my hatch light is in constant use.

The first time it rained I discovered that the VX doesn't have intermittent wipers. I had already swapped the steering column for tilt wheel, so I had the right steering wheel controls. Then I found out you have to swap the module on the under dash fuse box.

Minor things like these make all the difference to your every day driving experience.
By Greasedmonkey
#61250 Nope, never had the need to look back there at night. Nothing really gets put back there much at all.
By Greasedmonkey
JDM-Chick wrote:looks good I did the same to mine a few months back.

Dont you have an Si?
By Civic_HatchSI
Greasedmonkey wrote:
JDM-Chick wrote:looks good I did the same to mine a few months back.

Dont you have an Si?

yea but the trunk light only would come on if you flick the switch. i wired it up to come on when I open the hatch.