Technical Topics specific to the Hatchback body - NOT where you post pics/build specs of your car.
By 7___3___2
#359248 This is starting to freak my brain.

Story goes, cat stuffed a battery, replaced and all went well. One week later did a 2 hour round trip and parked car back up, went to restart in morning and shuts down on idle between 3-5 minutes of warming up. Changed fuel relay (old owner says this is the problem) no fix, test battery while running, saw voltage drops, so would have put money on the alternator being on the way out. Would appear not as I have had that reconditioned and fitted and car STILL shutting down. It drives well, I. E still mkes same power just on idle it stops.

Plugged laptop into ecu and it is not bringing any faults up. Tried looking for diagnostic pity and a great idea by the old owner was to chop it out of loom...

Pleaseeee somebody help I have spent more money on this car in the last 3 weeks and had nothing but down time with it. The hole point of buying this car was to enjoy reliable fun motoring.

Thanks
Mark
By Driv-it-hard
#359258 Mark, Hope we can help.
Give me some info on the car.
Is there a CEL on the dash at the moment ?
How much of a voltage drop are you seeing ? 14 to 12 or lower ?
Are you running the AC when the car dies ?
Do you have a large stereo system in the car ?
Does the car start right up or does it slow crank and then start after a cycle or two?
Give us some details.

Alex.
By 7___3___2
#359259 Hi Alex.

Not sure what CEL is that you are meaning? With the car running it varies between 13.5v - 12.8v on idle. Turned hid headlights, window wipers, Indicators etc all on and read 12.7v.

No running any air conditioning, and stereo usually stays off on the car. I need to get a multimeter so I can try some more tests.

Thanks

Mark
By Driv-it-hard
#359261 Good morning Mark,
CEL means , Check engine light. Is the light on in the cluster ?
12.8 is low. I would like to see what happens when you turn on the AC.
Have you pulled out the alternator and tested it ?
Also, when you start the car, do you have to keep your foot on the accelerator while it warms up ?
Let us know.
By 7___3___2
#359270 Hi again man. No check engine light on when car is running. Check engine light stays on when key is in start position though, I have been advised by my tuner that this is because of my link ecu in the car.

I have tested the alternator and it required reconditioning, of which I had done and the problem is still persisting after fitting.

Interestingly the belt is a 3pk, but the pulleys on alt and crank are 4 pk. The car doesnt have air conditioning.

The car starts easily and doesn't require any accelerator to keep it running.

Thanks very much for your help.

Mark.
By Driv-it-hard
#359271 Hmmmm.
Have you pulled the alternator on put on a bench test to make sure the voltage reg is good ?
You saying the alternator has different pully on it , did it get changed for the car ? Different diameter ?
Can you take a video of the car and post a link ?
By 7___3___2
#359273 When I bought the car the alternator / pulley belt difference was already like that and went ok for a couple of weeks until this began happening. The auto electrican mechanic bench tested the alt and said the voltage reg needed to be fixed of which they did repair.

Its just weird how the car was running and not shutting down to then beginning this. I will try get a video and edit it to only the last 10 seconds before it shuts down. Nothing significant happens at all pre shutdown, it is simply like the key is being turned off in the ignition. I.e no drop of rpm, no funny noises etc.
By Driv-it-hard
#359284 Really,, question, can you pull the key from the cylinder when the car is running. Might be a simple thing as the ignition switch or cylinder.
By 7___3___2
#359289 Can not remove key when car is running.
Checked all fuses under dash and in engine bay, all are fine.
Unplugged alternator to see if it would do anything and car just cranked (wouldnt start)

Just flattened my brand new battery so im not sure what to do now. im so over this car i could smash the windows and set it on fire.

somebody shoot me.

can now not restart car to run a log on the link ecu. so im stuffed.

here is a video of car shutting down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jf2hcBnmjCU