Technical Topics specific to the Hatchback body - NOT where you post pics/build specs of your car.
By rusty_eg3
#359108 Hey guys, I was wondering wether if I should start searching for a new shell or repair the existing one. I'm planning to replace the trailing arm bushings and the compensator arms as they're completely toast. Do you think that it's worth cleaning the rust with the wire wheel and then undersealing the car? Finding a new shell won't be easy where I live but I will find one if it's a must. Thanks!

All the pictures are from the passenger's side, the driver's side is identical, maybe a little less rusty.
Attachments
20160517_131237.jpg
20160517_131231.jpg
20160517_131124.jpg
By Driv-it-hard
#359109 Hey Rusty ,
A lot of that may be surface rust. I would get you self a wire brush wheel to you hand held rotary or drill . Clean the area and prep for rust treatment. After you paint the area, you can treat with undercoating for added protection. Its not that bad.
By rusty_eg3
#359111 Thanks!! I assumed it's not that bad but being my first car I wanted to hear more opinions from more experienced people. (seen some pics with nasty rust in those exact spots)
By teal_dx
Driv-it-hard wrote:Hey Rusty ,
A lot of that may be surface rust. I would get you self a wire brush wheel to you hand held rotary or drill . Clean the area and prep for rust treatment. After you paint the area, you can treat with undercoating for added protection. Its not that bad.

100% :thumb: You caught it early enough so that it isn't too bad at all. I opened this thread expecting to see rust holes :shock:
By iLLson
#359121 YEAP. looks to be all surface rust.

scuff it off, use some chemicals to convert leftover rust to primer, and touch it up. nothing serious.