Technical Topics specific to the Hatchback body - NOT where you post pics/build specs of your car.
By teal_dx
#358246 I did the same thing when I painted my car. To put them back on, I started on the edge facing the front of the car and pressed it in and went around on the top and bottom. When i got to the back edge, it was really tight and wouldn't go in. I waited until it was a really hot day so the rubber was soft, and then found a special glass installation tool to press the rubber into place. The hot temperature made all the difference. I'd try heating up the garage and even a heat gun (but not too hot or you'll damage the rubber.)
I don't know what the tool is called, but it's like 8" long and about 1/2" wide and very thin and it kind of works like a giant tooth pick.
By EconoBox
#358256 Get the rubber warmed up and follow what Teal said. Leave the rubber laying out in direct sunlight for a few hours (not going to work very well with the outside temps being so low lately) or use a heat gun to carefully warm it up. Its designed to be installed onto the glass when it's not on the car so it's a little difficult to put back in this way but it can be done.
By jadeydrag0117
teal_dx wrote:I did the same thing when I painted my car. To put them back on, I started on the edge facing the front of the car and pressed it in and went around on the top and bottom. When i got to the back edge, it was really tight and wouldn't go in. I waited until it was a really hot day so the rubber was soft, and then found a special glass installation tool to press the rubber into place. The hot temperature made all the difference. I'd try heating up the garage and even a heat gun (but not too hot or you'll damage the rubber.)
I don't know what the tool is called, but it's like 8" long and about 1/2" wide and very thin and it kind of works like a giant tooth pick.

yeah i was actually thinking about using heat gun.

do you mean the heat works to stretch it or just to push it in to the hole?
By jadeydrag0117
EconoBox wrote:Its designed to be installed onto the glass when it's not on the car so it's a little difficult to put back in this way but it can be done.

yeah that makes sense.

from the quarter panel windows available online for sale, i can see they have the rubber already installed.

thanks
By HeikDiesel
jadeydrag0117 wrote:
HeikDiesel wrote:I gave up and cut mine out and glued them back in with the seals installed on the glass prior to installation

lol. that sounds horrible.
not doing that.

Not really, took a half hour for both sides and cost me $50. I think it's the right way to do it personally, especially with new paint