Technical Topics specific to the Hatchback body - NOT where you post pics/build specs of your car.
By rusty_eg3
#355738 Hey everybody! I'm thinking about replacing the rear trailing arms because the two main bushings are rotten and replacing them would be a PITA. I already have the arms from a Del Sol. My question is: Will I encounter problems with the bolts that hold the arms to the frame? I know from experience that the LCA bolts snap when trying to unscrew them so i'm thinking that these might snap too... Did this happen to anyone?
By Driv-it-hard
#355739 PB blaster to lube the bolts before starting. Lube in the evening and work on the car in the morning. Spay the entire can. You can clean off the extra when the suspension comes off the car.
By HeikDiesel
#355740 Mine came off without a hitch. Really the only bolts I've ever had issues with are the bolts through the shock fork. Jack the car up and see if they loosen easily. You should be able to tell within 10 minutes if you're going to have an issue?
By rusty_eg3
#355744 Thanks! Why i'm asking this question is because the car is rustier in the back and i don't like how those bolts look compared to the ones in the front.

Later edit:

Really the only bolts I've ever had issues with are the bolts through the shock fork.

Haha that's strange, they weren't a problem on my car.
By teal_dx
#355768 I was going to guess by your username that you might run into some trouble :wink:
First, I'd try to use compressed air to blow all the loose debris and dirt away from the back side of the threads inside the chassis. Once you begin to loosen, that stuff could get caught in the threads and give you some trouble.
Definitely soak with PB blaster, also spray some up inside of the chassis to coat the threads from the back. If the bolt starts to get difficult to turn, don't keep forcing and risk snapping the bolt. Soak with more PB, tighten it back up, and repeat.
Working on old rusty vehicles, I have had to take rusty bolts only 1/4 of the way out, soak them, put them back in, then half way out, repeat, then 3/4 out and repeat. It's time consuming but nothing as bad as drilling out a broken bolt. :thumb:
Let us know how it goes!
By rusty_eg3
Soak with more PB, tighten it back up, and repeat.

Wow, never thought about this technique but now that i know it sounds logical. Right now i'm waiting for the quarter panels to be shipped and installed and then the trailing arms swap will begin. Will post updates and pics if necessary. Thanks!
By HeikDiesel
#355777 That's probably the biggest mistake people make. When a bolt binds up I always try and go in the opposite direction and then continue. Also when a bolt binds up it creates heat, it's better to let a bolt cool than continue to heat the bolt. Heat makes things expand and makes the bolt even tighter. If you can heat the housing around the bolt without damaging anything that is another good way.