Technical Topics specific to the Hatchback body - NOT where you post pics/build specs of your car.
By danmain-eg
#354756 right my civic was meant to have power steering (which i never knew i assumed it was old so didn't have it when i bought it)

i recently seen the hydraulic fill up point and realised that it should have it.

found out then that my rack is leaking hence no power steering.

on to the questions:
1. is there a known problem with eg racks leaking?
2. is it an easy fix or does the rack need to be totally replaced?
3. is it a hard job to replace?
4. is it easier to buy the sub-frame with the rack and change both?
By teal_dx
#354757 Can you tell where it is leaking from? Maybe put some fluid in first and look for the leak.

It's a PITA to remove. There isn't a DIY on this site to my knowledge, but here's a video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wqRVkKEh-I
By EconoBox
#354829 Haven't been on here in a while, been real busy between work and the new car.

This is a common problem on the EG power steering racks. The rack is rebuild-able with parts from Honda that are still available but its a PITA if you haven't done it before and not much cheaper than buying a remanufactured rack from your local parts store (NAPA, Advanced, Autozone, Oriellys, etc...) you will have to bring them your old rack back to get your core deposit back.

Here is a step by step guide and the list of specialty tools you will need to do the job. It's not the easiest job in the world but it can be done in an afternoon if you have all the tools and parts ready to go.
You will need a ball joint separator for the tie rod ends its item #99849 at Harbor Freight and is $19.99. You will also need a 12mm, 14mm, and 17mm flare wrench for removing the hydraulic lines from the rack.

Directions:
I'm assuming you can get the front of the car safely supported on two jack stands and remove the front wheels. Beginning from that point here it goes.

At this point if the power steering system still has fluid in it you will want to drain the system before going any further.

TO DRAIN THE FLUID: lift up the power steering reservoir and remove the hose that goes to the power steering cooler. Connect a small piece of tubing to this hose and into a bucket. Start the car and let it idle. Turn the steering wheel side to side until the fluid no longer comes out. At this point shut off the car and continue with removing the rack.

Step one: is to remove the steering column plastic cover (The black tube) under the dash and take out the bottom bolt of the U joint attaching to the rack. Do this step first while you are clean and when reinstalling do it last after you clean up, no need to get the interior dirty.

Step two: under the car you will drop down the shift linkage by removing the spring clip (aka bitch pin) and unbolting the stabilizer arm.

Step Three: remove the cat if you still have a stock exhaust system. If you have an aftermarket exhaust remove whichever pieces are underneath the rack.

Step Four: remove the three hydraulic lines from the power steering rack using the flare wrenches you purchased. The line to the reservoir has a 12mm, the line to the oil cooler has a 17mm, the line from the pump has a 14mm. The

Step Five: Using the ball joint separator remove the tie rod end links from the knuckles.

Step Six: unbolt the steering rack from the subframe (Don't forget the bracket on the passenger side)

Step Seven: Most write ups at this point will tell you to pull the subframe out... That's a complete waste of time if you follow my directions in order. It takes a little finesse to get it out but its the quickest way to do it.
- turn the steering wheel all the way to the right (passenger side)
- pull down on the drivers side of the rack so that it clears the u joint adn firewall
-once it clears rotate the shaft toward the front of the car until it is pointing at the ground
-push the rack to the passenger side until the tie rod clears the subframe
-drop the drivers side under the subframe
-once it clears the subframe grab the tie rod and pull the rack so that it goes to a full left lock
-then pull the rack out though the drivers side

Install is reverse of removal. I usually leave the steering wheel at full lock to the passenger side and push the rack to full lock passenger side when mating it the u joint to keep the steering wheel on center. You will want to go and get an alignment after doing this though your toe WILL be off. Remember to fill the system back up with only Honda genuine power steering fluid or a Honda specific aftermarket fluid (it will say FOR HONDA on the bottle). I won't go into detail here but using regular PS fluid in a Honda will destroy the pump, seals and all that good stuff. If you need any help just comment and I'll be more than happy to leave more advice.
By danmain-eg
#354912 thanks guys thats been really helpful!! guess ill have to give it a go seen as garages want stupid amounts of money to do it and this is my project not my daily so it being off the road doesnt really bother me :)

i shall let you guys know how far i get before i give up :hehe: :hehe: