Technical Topics specific to the Hatchback body - NOT where you post pics/build specs of your car.
By PirateEG
#353579 So I have been working on replacing the headgasket on my B16 in my EG... I did not do the swap...

What is this hose?

It appears to go back with the fuel return, where is this suppose to go? What is it?
By Driv-it-hard
#353581 On my DX, and I am assuming on all others hatchbacks the same. The fuel return line is on the other side of the fire wall. That looks like a power steering line to the rack. Your car may have have had power steering at one point.
Best of luck.
By PirateEG
#353627 I do not have a charcoal canister.
And I have removed the P/S, was not related.

But why would it go back towards the fuel tank?

In a few I can report back on the location under the car a bit better; had the engine supported while I "DIY solid motor mount"ed the tranny mount. Can get a look from underneath in a few.
By PirateEG
#353628 I don't need to look, it IS for the charcoal canister.

Seems that MILD pollution is the only risk of this set up; and SUPER MINIMAL fuel evaporation.

Any other risks? I do not even think my TB has a port for it!

I am thinking the d-series used it, and the b-series does not. I remember it being there, but not being hooked up to anything so I tossed it; I didn't even cut the hose.

besides, I am using that bracket to hold my new oil catch can... it is in the perfect spot!!
By teal_dx
#353642 I think the other downfall is slightly lower mpg, like a couple or a few mpg I read once.

That and an open fuel line to your engine bay... If you ever have an engine fire, I suppose the fumes could ignite and boom :?
By PirateEG
#353647 I had seen the thread where they talked about lower MPG... the idea is due to gasoline evaporation, which is so minimal it was debunked further down the thread. (besides the canister only opens at idle)

Could I simply run a hose to the IM? The b16a2 IM has an unused vacuum line on top I could use.

It COULD be possible for an engine fire to thus ignite the tank, but I think that is rather unlikely. 1. the fuel lines and properly installed canister with burst lines from the fire would have the same impact. 2. if that hose is full of vapor, there would be no oxygen to lead the flames to the tank.
By CopyLifted
#353652 I removed my canister when I did my k swap and just ran a hose into the factory vent tube. Without doing so, the vapors are venting into the engine bay making it smell of gas BAD! This seemed to work perfect for me as it is vented where it originally would be coming from the canister. And no more horrific gas smell lol.

And after taking this pic I realized I have some cleaning to do again lol.

By suspendedHatch
#353663 The charcoal canister stores the leftover fuel pressure when you shut down the car, and also the expansion of fuel from the tank when the outside temps go up. It's purged during cold start ups to assist with starting and also at other times when vacuum is low (idle or cruise) to save gas and keep the air clean.

In my experience, the charcoal canister accounts for just under 3mpg, but that depends on how you use your car.

Yes, B series use it as do all other engines in the US. On JDM engines, you usually have to swap your USDM throttle body on and find a way to mount the purge valve. Given the ease of doing that vs the nasty consequences of not, it seems like a no brainer, but in the Honda game, there is no shortage of half-assers.
By PirateEG
#353828 Oh I tell ya, the kid I bought it from had NO IDEA what he was doing. The guy he bought it from who did the swap... must have had friends who kinda knew what they are doing.
But that worked to my advantage; bought car with poor idle and driving. Used that to bring price way down. bought decent body with b16a2 for $1500... the problem was the ICAV plug was not in, and the a different connector was in its place. 8)

I ended up just routing the line like "copylifted" did.

I my county, with moderate number of farms, has no emission checks on cars.

I don't dog on her too often either, just slowly buliding/learning my way around to get her as a track day vehicle...
Was my second car until the VSS broke off in the trans in my merc tracer.