Technical Topics specific to the Hatchback body - NOT where you post pics/build specs of your car.
By Jsherrod
#352584 Hey guys I recently picked up a 1994 cx hatchback with a jdm h22a swap. I went to replace some broken wheel studs and came across a problem.

The drivers side axle is rubbing on the fork. You can see the ring line where it's hitting.

What can be causes of this?

One bit of info on the previous owner, he did everything as cheap and ghetto as possible.

This is the drivers side axle rub.

Passenger side looks to have a little clearance.

By Jsherrod
#352596 Thank you!
By EconoBox
#352607 Part of the issue is those really saggy worn out lower control arm bushings. :o

Which motor mount kit and axles are installed in the car? How low is the car? If you aren't sure see if you can find out from the previous owner. Each generation of motor mounts for the H22 swap has slight differnces in engine placement which will effect the angle of the axles.
By Jsherrod
EconoBox wrote:Part of the issue is those really saggy worn out lower control arm bushings. :o

Which motor mount kit and axles are installed in the car? How low is the car? If you aren't sure see if you can find out from the previous owner. Each generation of motor mounts for the H22 swap has slight differnces in engine placement which will effect the angle of the axles.

The car was slammed to the floor in the front. I raised it up over an inch now.

I would love to tell you what axle and motor mount combo was used, but unfortunately the previous owner does now know.

There's a shop out here that pushing hasport mount axle combo to blindly correct the issue.

The alignment is extremely off. Going strait, and the wheel looks like 45 degree right turn lol.

Update** I'm not getting bind on the drivers side, the axle is rubbing on the strut fork.
By EconoBox
#352641 With an H22 swap knowing which mount kit you have is actually extremely important because each different generation of kits usually has slight changes to how the engine is mounted (IE: Hasport EGH1, EGH2, and EGH3 all have slight differences). If you post pictures we may be able to help identify the mount kit.

A poorly designed mount kit, like Place Racing, can lead to the problem you are having with the axle hitting the suspension fork.

Also take a good look at all of your bushings in the suspension if the rest of your front upper and lower control arm bushings look like the one I pointed out in my earlier post the whole control arm may be moving enough to cause the rubbing. I've seen EG front lower control arms have 1-2 inches of play from the bushings being in horrible shape.
By Jsherrod
#352650 Image

What kind of mounts do these look like?
By Eg6H2D
#352651 Look like IM ( Innovative Mounts) to me.
By Jsherrod
Eg6H2D wrote:Look like IM ( Innovative Mounts) to me.

I thought so too.

There is no bind in the drivers side axle. I will check the passenger side tomorrow (can't get the axle nut off).

If there's play in that side, then the problem could be from the badly worn out steering and control components.
By EconoBox
#352770 I can't say for sure that they are not innovative mounts but from the way the bushings look in your pictures they look to be rubber mounts. The logo is backward and looks like it was cut out by hand with a plasma cutter as well which leads me to believe they are eBay knockoff mounts. I have used their mounts for the H22 and they did not have a solid plate on the frame rail cap either. Also innovative always has their name on the polyurethane on their mount kits.

Here is a picture of what innovative H22 mounts currently look like.
https://www.innovativemounts.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=29550

Honestly I'd recommend buying another set of mounts either Hasport or Innovative. There has been a lot of improvement over the years on axle alignment on the H22 swap and the newest generation mount kits fit the motor with a lot less problems.
By Jsherrod
#353425 Update!!

Hey guys I just wanted to update everyone on the hatch so far. I decided to go with hasport mounts/axles combo and I am very pleased! The axle clearance issue is now gone and I can finally drive it! I was also able to get the cluster working along with the corner and tail lights.

Just picked up a pair of rota slipstreamed and drag radials for it as well.

My next parts to fix:
Bushings (whole kit)
Ball joints and tie rods
New suspension (blox drag series)

Huge thanks to LDL speed shop in Las Vegas!
By DooDooBrownHatch
#359096 I went with an axle kit from Yonaka Motor sports. For approx. the same amount of money, minus the cost of the half shaft, I paid for the correct axle kit for my swap with Innovative mounts. Innovative mounts are designed to give the engine the most ground clearance, so the correct axle setup is ideal. The only way to find out what axles you have is to take them out and compare them to known ones purchased from store or vendor.
I also agree that they look like Innovative, but knock offs. The ride height of the car also effects the axle angles, sometimes raising it back up another inch or so might help with the rubbing.
Best of Luck!!