Technical Topics specific to the Hatchback body - NOT where you post pics/build specs of your car.
By ShonLiddell
#351365 I've had an off and on relationship with my speedo, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Today, when the speedo started working on my way to work, I noticed a clicking sound. Not steady, just every 15-20 seconds a click happens. Anyone know any ideas as to where I could start my search? I'm hoping it's a relay or something. LMK please :)

Have a great day everyone
By egsedanguy
#351366 Sound to me like its going out. I f your already having issues with it, then just replace it. It seems to be losing connection somewhere. And unless your good at electrical and running tests on it then I would not recommend attempting to make a repair to it.
By ShonLiddell
#351369 What do you think is going out? The speedo is electric not cable driven, so it doesn't make any sense as to why it would just now start clicking. My thoughts might be a relay or something.
By egsedanguy
#351370 It could be, but they don't just un-plug. behind each gauge, like the tach. behind the needle and face is a little circuit board. a few resistors, some caps, coil, and some other very tinny electrical components. pull your cluster out to get a better idea of where the sound is coming from. But from personal experience, your gonna save a lot of time just getting a used one and drop it in. I have not seen nor heard of many people repair the clusters.
By ShonLiddell
#351371 I hear you. I put a used one in since the one that was in it the fuel gage wasn't working. It's just weird that a couple months later it starts clicking. I'll take it out and look around. Maybe drive it while it's out to see if I can narrow down my search.
By egsedanguy
ShonLiddell wrote:I hear you. I put a used one in since the one that was in it the fuel gage wasn't working. It's just weird that a couple months later it starts clicking. I'll take it out and look around. Maybe drive it while it's out to see if I can narrow down my search.

Yea that's how I would do it. Locating a clicking behind the dash can be a few things. There are some relays and stuff back there, so it could be from something else, even the fuse box that sits under the dash could have a relay getting stuck. I hate chasing stuff like that. But once you find out from where its coming from will make it a lot easier to fix. Keep us posted on what you find and good luck :thumb:
By ShonLiddell
#351418 After some searching and testing last night, I found that it was my trip meter being stuck on 99.9 and ticking every time it wanted to roll over. So I reset it to 000.0 and it doesn't click anymore. Thanks all for the help.
By egsedanguy
ShonLiddell wrote:After some searching and testing last night, I found that it was my trip meter being stuck on 99.9 and ticking every time it wanted to roll over. So I reset it to 000.0 and it doesn't click anymore. Thanks all for the help.

Awsome :thumb: glad it was a easy fix.