Technical Topics specific to the Hatchback body - NOT where you post pics/build specs of your car.
By Bielawa1
#346860 Hi wondered if anyone knows what a scuffing or scraping noise might be from the driver side wheel , almost sounds like a flat tyre but with the odd metalic scrape.
I'm advised its probably a dry bearing , it had its MOT a few weeks ago and there was no play in the front wheels, had CV joint, bushes replaced recently.
There isn't the sound when turning the wheel only when driving along and at about 40mph vanishes until slowing down.
Is there a grease nipple or oiling spot for the wheel bearings on the eg's? Mines a 1995 LSI.

Thanks

James
By tom023
#346863 Do you hear it all the time? turning left or right? under braking ?
By Bielawa1
#346866 It doesn't make a sound when turning the wheel, i've tried the zig zag when driving doesn't make it worse.It was bizarrely only happening on one roundabout and few stretches of road so thought maybe road surface doing it but now its more often elsewhere.

Its almost like a bit of card in the spokes of a bike then a slight metallic graunch, i checked the arch lining wasn't rubbing and its well clear, both rear tie rods are worn but front ones fine, if there's someone in the passenger seat it lessens the times it happens so taking pressure off something.

How much is it to get a bearing replacement usually? Are they easy to obtain?I'm looking to move the car on in 6 months or so , had it 6 years but if it needs doing fair enough.Didn't know they were sealed so thanks for that info.

Thanks guys
By Leppy
#346867 It may sound stupid, but check your brakes. There's a metal shield plate behind the rotor that can get bent and will sometimes rub against the rotor or even the wheel if there isn't much clearance. I've had that problem on more than one occasion on my EG's.
By Bielawa1
#346876 Thanks will check that out and see whats going on