Technical Topics specific to the Hatchback body - NOT where you post pics/build specs of your car.
By EG41213929
#343828 Alright, i put a d15z8 engine into my car i took out the old d15b engine but left in its obd1 loom, i used the intake manifold off the d15b which meant the plugs fit nicely, so i wire it all up fill up all the liquids needed then go to twist the key, before i twist it all the way the starter spins... so i have three spare starters there so i try them all and annoyingly they all do the same thing, now if i turn the key and disconnect the ground on the starter it starts but only if i hold the key turned fully... the engine is doin alot of shakin and doesnt sound happy. Anyone have any ideas?

.starter runs when key is in on position
.car starts but only when key is turned and held
.car doesnt sound too happy ( rough idle )
By teal_dx
#343830 Do you know for sure if the new engine ran right before putting it in your car?
If it is shaking, it could be the wrong firing order or engine timing may be off. Did the check engine light come on, assuming it works?
By EG41213929
#343831 Hows things, yeah i saw it running before takin it out and it wasnt shaking or anythin, i checked the timing before it went in and it was spot on. Which dizzy should i use? The one that came with the d15z8 engine or the d15b one? Bearing in mindi have the d15b looms intake and injectors and ecu... so should i put the d15b dizzy on instead... and how do i change the firing order?
By teal_dx
#343841 Always mark down the firing order of the plug wires before you pull them off. If its too late for that, check the manual or google for the firing order. If you have the plug wires in the wrong order, it will run horrible if at all and shake a lot. Which dizzy did you use and did it plug directly into your obd1 harness?
By EG41213929
#343846 I used the obd2 dizzy but i remember now you saying to change it to the obd1 as the obd1 has the crank sensor built into it so i'll change it in a while, i found the firing ordrr its 1243, so that being wrong would of stopped it from staying started?
By teal_dx
#343851 It depends how incorrect the plug wires were. If only 2 of the wires are wrong, it can still run but it will run rough. If 3 or all 4 wires were incorrect, it wouldn't stay running.
Does the check engine light come on when the car is running? If so, check the code and that will tell you what the problem may be. :thumb:
By EG41213929
#343854 For some reason the starter is still actin the b***ox it doesnt matter what i do the starter wont spin from the key it only spins when i put the ground wire on it and the car wont stay started unless i hold the key turned... the check engine light comes on but doesnt flash... ahm i dunno whats goin on it sounds healthy in some respects barr the shakin and the starter constantly tryin to spin! Annoying, i an gonna make a thread later about exactly what i did and would appreciate any input you have cheers.
By lalo
#343860 It could be that the ignition switch is no good. I had a honda accord it did the same thing it only stayed on if you held the key a certain way. You could try that :D
By EG41213929
#343868 Well what if i was to put in a push button start? Easy done on an eg.... have the fuel pump on a hidden switch under the dash and have dash and other functions on another one... so all the igniton will be for is to prevent the steering lock....
By teal_dx
#343871 I'd try to get to the root of the problem instead of adding more wiring, unless you're confident you can fix it with a start button. The check engine light doesn't flash when there's a problem, it stays on solid. It flashes when you put a clip in the jumper to read the code.
By EG41213929
#343919 Nice one for all the help its starte and purring like a kitten. Stuck a push button in anyway with fuel pump on a switch as a kill switch of sorts.
By Virux
#344080 What was the problem?
By EG41213929
#344085 Well the main reason it wasnt startin was the fuel pumps ground was off somehow, and the main relay under the steering wheel was gone too. So it was all fuel related nonsense!;-) :-P:-P
By lalo
#344096 Good to know that u fixed the main problem :D
By suspendedHatch
#344454 Would you mind using a more descriptive topic? It's lame to have to click into a thread and read to find out if it's something I can even help with.

I generally ignore all non descriptive topics like this one but I saw that you had a lot of responses so I thought I'd drop in and bitch at you.