Technical Topics specific to the Hatchback body - NOT where you post pics/build specs of your car.
By EG41213929
#343750 Ahhhh! Hows things lads, alright so the engine went in without a problem, i put the obd1 intake on the obd2 block and it all looks good all the plugs are matching up and i have everything done i need done, now, i put the battery in and the fuel pump started suckin but the starter wouldnt spin or even try the fuse box under the bonnet keeps clickin like its a relay i changed all the relays and the same thing happened just fuel pump suckin injection spitting but no starter, so i changed the starter as i had left the starter that came from ek or obd2 engine to the obd1 starter and anytime i connected the starterr and tried the ignition again this time just sparks came from the starter so i turned it straight off.... so what should i do? Put the ek starter back on or leave the eg one on? How can i check if the starter is still ok? Cheers for the help on the last post by the way!
By blk92hb
#343752 Sounds like you are missing a ground.

But if you want to check the starter you need to put a jumper cable on it ground on the bolt hole of the starter and positive on the power terminal on the starter. Then take a wire from the starter switch plug and touch the positive. Be careful and set it on the ground, it will jump out of your hand.
By JUICE
#343753 Check all your grounds. Had a loose trans ground give me an evening long headache instead of a quick/easy starter swap.
By EG41213929
#343754 Anyone know how many grounds their is in the engine bay and their locations? Does the ecu have a ground? Or by bolting it on is it grounded.. .
By TrailerTrash
#343758 Image

my coupe also has an additional ground that goes from the alternator bracket to the strut tower. and it wouldnt start when that ground broke after a tranny swap.
By EG41213929
#343762 Nice one for that, cheers for the post, what about the ecu? Is there a ground for that somewhere? As there was a wire tuck done and so the wires are all over the show....
By EG41213929
#343777 So is there a ground for the ecu i have had a look and i dont see any near it....
By suspendedHatch
#343798 Jack the car up, put the transmission in gear, and see if you can rotate the engine using the wheel.

I'm thinking maybe you bolted the trans up wrong and the flywheel is stuck.
By EG41213929
#343808 Nah that aint the problem as i didnt take the gearbox off the block i just put it all in at once so the flywheel and clutch wont be seized together, i just dont know where the ground for the ecu is! That is all i need to know!
By teal_dx
#343829 I think the ground for the ecu is on the thermostat housing. I believe there are 4 ground wires there, one of which is ecu. You said you had tucked harness, so it may have been relocated.
By EG41213929
#343833 Is the ground for the ecu on a bunch of grounds all joined into one loop? And would the thermostat be affecting the running of the engine?
By teal_dx
#343840 I believe there are 4 black wires and maybe 1 or 2 more on the thermostat ground. A bad thermostat would make the engine overheat or never reach operating temperature.