Technical Topics specific to the Hatchback body - NOT where you post pics/build specs of your car.
By alexwiththeeg3
#343578 So yesterday my dad was replacing the CV joint on the left and when he took one of the bolts out of the front lower control arm (the bolt that goes into the cross member) and he realised when it came to putting it back in he realised that the nut inside the cross member that's welded onto the inside had snapped off, therefore there is now no threads for the bolt to tighten to... Is the only solution to drill a hole in the cross member big enough to get a nut up in there and a spanner and do it that way?
By jefferydclark
#343594 the correct solution would be to go to a junk yard and buy replacement parts/bolts. you should be able to just take an air hammer and push the bad bolt out(if you are working on the parts i'm thinking off) and just replace the bolt and nut with a hardened bolt from ACE. the bolt from the lower control arm to the suspension fork?
Last edited by jefferydclark on Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By alexwiththeeg3
#343595 But the chances of me finding a scrapyard nearby that had an eg is slim
By jefferydclark
alexwiththeeg3 wrote:But the chances of me finding a scrapyard nearby that had an eg is slim

why not just replace the bolt with one from the parts house?

also, EG's are all over junk yards. it doesn't have to be the exact model you have. it can be any one, coupe, hatch, sedan.
By alexwiththeeg3
#343597 The bolt isn't the problem, there was a nut welded on the inside of the cross member and that's what's snapped
By alexwiththeeg3
#343602 Its not the outer end of the control arm that I'm talking about, its the most inner one
By HeikDiesel
#343621 That sucks. You can try and cut a window to where you can add a nut, tighten it and then tack weld back into place. Otherwise you're going to have to get creative on that one.
By alexwiththeeg3
#343622 That's what I was thinking, only problem being I have no welding gear... Is it gonna cause any damage if I just leave the drill hole provided I put a coat on it so it doesn't rust?
By EG41213929
#343628 Same thing happened to me before so i cut a square that i could get needle nose pliers through then i tack welded the nutt back in place and hey presto it bolt back on, then i got rust proofed it and welded a piece over the flap i created. Easier if ya cut 3 side so its still held on one side then just fold it down like a flap. Good luck!
By Punksz6
#343785 That happened to me as well, I was driving with it loose. I had a feeling to check my suspension out and seen that. Check my thread out to see pics (http://civic-eg.com/viewtopic.php?t=10626&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=45). I was also going to cut a hole and weld it but I sourced a cheap cross memeber and just replaced the whole thing. Hope you get it fixed. :)

pics from my coupe

By alexwiththeeg3
#343800 got it all sorted now guys, just drilled a hole using a cone cutter and wacked a nut on there, the hole isn't particularly substantial and looks to be okay