Technical Topics specific to the Hatchback body - NOT where you post pics/build specs of your car.
By 92dxeg
#340484 how hard would it be to do a b series awd in my hatch crv 5 speed transmtion and tranfer case i would need right ? ik it will be all custom work but u guys think it will be hard
By ihavesol93
#340487 not hard at all..... but mother fuck, very time consuming. like.... very.. i did one on a customers crx a couple of years ago.
By suspendedHatch
#340610 Hard? Yes. Even if you are a custom fabricator and have tools, time and money to do it. It will be hard and you might as well import an AWD DA or DC Integra. Unfortunately I those were D series. For the money you will spend why not just buy a Subaru?

The CRV isn't an all time 4WD system and it doesn't support much power. You're much better off getting an LSD and some good tires, but that doesn't have the coolness factor of AWD.
By 92dxeg
#340639 i want to do it to my eg just becuse. and they maid awd da and dcs ? with what engines
By ihavesol93
#340640 with a d16a6 for the civics and i was fairly sure that it was the b18b for the tegs. we used a b series drivetrain from a honda cr-v
By chrono404
ihavesol93 wrote:with a d16a6 for the civics and i was fairly sure that it was the b18b for the tegs. we used a b series drivetrain from a honda cr-v

AWD Integras had D Series in them. most likely to stay in the cheaper tax bracket for cars in Japan. I would love to have a JDM AWD DC sedan. However for the cost of such a thing I could buy something like a Subaru WRX Wagon, oh wait I already did.

I really wanted to go AWD. I did tons of research on it.

http://brianramstad.nfshost.com/ref/index.php?page=awd

Here is some of it I put together in a little wiki. Looking into how the system works, how much effort and time it would take I bought a Subaru WRX as it would be much much less effort to get a more powerful better handling car with much suppier awd then what I was working on.

Honda AWD found in the Civic and in the CRV are not good AWD systems.

Honda SH-AWD found in the high up acuras are pretty darn good setups and would be a blast in a light eg/delsol. However you will need a VERY expesinve parts car to rob parts off of. Much cheaper to buy a WRX with Bug eyes dropping to around 6k locally.

I dont want to squash inovation. however its not worth it. I spent months and months thinking up how to make this work and it does make since to do the effort to make it worth while. Once you get a little wheel slip up front the back wheels will take a whopping 10% of the power and put them to the rear. Not near worth the weight, rear drums, time or expense.
By suspendedHatch
chrono404 wrote:However for the cost of such a thing I could buy something like a Subaru WRX Wagon, oh wait I already did.

Haha. And rather than have a turbo EG with stiff suspension and chassis and 4WD, I got an STi. Still cheaper than building an EG and more rewarding in the end.
By 92dxeg
#340671 i understand it would be cheaper to get a subi but that's not what i want to do. i love honda's and i love to build them so for me its another challenge and at the end it would be worth it too me for the fact of being different
By 92dxeg
#341251 do u have a build therd what was the hardest part of the build
By DooDooBrownHatch
#359098 Go buy a wrecked 96 CR-V, take the powertrain out. Build a B series and turbo it, then get pass rear axle shafts from the civic wagons, then you can centrally locate the rear "diff" and not have to trace down rare axle shafts lol. Best of Luck!